Diver denied treatment at a Chamber in Panama City...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would think that if a medical facility in the US had the capability to treat DCS and refused to do so based off the activity the patient was conducting, they would be easily held liable for failure to meet their duty to care.

Regardless of the legal aspect, as medical professionals these people should be ashamed of themselves.

It sounds like it was just joint pain and not explosive DCS. Why didn't they just get back in the water. If the boat was already on the way back the first thing I would have done was drive up to Morrison with a couple of tanks and dive back down to 100' and come back up slowly. Spending a long time in the 20' - 10' range. It has worked for me and several buddies in the past for things such as joint pain or skin bends. The quicker you get back in the water the better and chambers are most of the time hours away. A little common sense goes a long way.

Seems a bit ridiculous to make the decision to quit treating scuba divers when they only get four a year. It's not as if they are regularly inundated. How many burn victims do they get a year? Are they going to cut them off next?

As for inwater recompression . . .oh boy here we go. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It sounds like it was just joint pain and not explosive DCS. Why didn't they just get back in the water. If the boat was already on the way back the first thing I would have done was drive up to Morrison with a couple of tanks and dive back down to 100' and come back up slowly. Spending a long time in the 20' - 10' range. It has worked for me and several buddies in the past for things such as joint pain or skin bends. The quicker you get back in the water the better and chambers are most of the time hours away. A little common sense goes a long way.

You're kidding...right? In water recompression? I'm glad I am closer to DAN (a couple of miles) than you. I know what they would say about that.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 02:18 AM ----------

Many hospitals use hyperbaric treatments for all other kinds of medical treatments that pay a lot more than diving emergencies. It is what they are geared up for that they think counts. Divers are few, other treatments are going to take preference.

Last edited:
First they should inquire if the hospital staff has a chamber operator who is familiar with the tables used for treating DCS as this will be different than treating those who have burns or surgeries requiring Oxygen treatment. If the operator is not familiar with the tables or little experience this could prove to be an issue. Also do they have doctors who understand diving accidents?

Now I do agree it is not good that they have a chamber and do not use it to treat dive injuries and some will say well they can call someone to come in and treat the divers; but this may take more time than transporting the injured diver to another facility. It says this has been an issue with the local dive community for years well why doesn't it say weather the community is taking action and find out if there are medical personnel near by who are familiar with dive medicine and would be willing to partner up with the hospital and figure out how to staff the facility for such an issue.

Then there is also the issue of the type of chamber they have if it is a mono chamber (as pictured in the article, is this the one in the hospital) their are higher risks involved with treating the patient as they can not have a tender inside to help take care of the patient if they start to convulse, need cpr, and many other issues. If the patient starts to convulse it takes a while to flush out the oxygen, also with the higher concentration of oxygen there is a much higher risk of fire and reduces the chances of survival due to fire suppression unlike in a larger chamber.

Wow... that's kind of stunning that they promote it and then deny it. To put this in perspective, Tally is only two hours away and P-cola is a bit more (I think). Both have working chambers open for dive accidents.

Amending my previous response. They should amend their information page to accurately describes be what services they offer and not just copy and paste what a chamber can be used for

There is usually what the patient perceives to be the truth; what the hospital perceives to be the truth; what the news medial reports to be the truth; and then the truth.

Based on what read from the news media's report I am appalled by the actions of the hospital. If the truth lies closer to what the media reported than the hospital administration should be held accountable for insufficient staffing. But there most likely isn't any governing board but a board of directors concerned with budgets.

A country as prosperous as the U.S. and we have such a crappy medical system more concerned about profits for investors than healing the stricken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom