PADI AOW exemption for Lake Ouachita, AR. No deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Had a diver tell me they weren't required to take deep diver for AOW due to PADI making an exception for this lake. This doesn't make sense on so many levels.

Has anyone heard of this?

I am not familiar with your lake but for the PADI deep adventure the diver only needs to reach a depth below 18m/60 ft per standards so if there is a spot deeper than 60ft even 60.5ft it would still count and maybe the diver misunderstood their instructor.

LOTS of dive sites deeper than 60' at Lake Ouachita..... just kinda chilly past 40' There HAD to be a mis-communication somewhere.

A bit past 60 ft is a joke. A deep dive should be in the 80-90 ft range. I'd be leery of a shop calling 61 feet ok for a deep dive. If necessary you travel or advise the student to take the class with a shop that can do the dive properly.

Let me clarify. He got his Advanced Open Water Diver and was not required to do deep diver. He was told PADI made an exemption because of this lake.

It seems to me they would have just said to dive somewhere else. I have never heard of an exemption being granted except on a individual basis in regards to a disability. In fact having just received my instructor cert. it was drilled into me this was the only way. But what do I know? Not much.

For instance here there is no area to safely dive deep within a few hours and there are no exceptions granted. You just drive further to another area.

You can always directly e-mail PADI and ask them about this.

Well I didn't want to make a big production out of it I was just curious if any locals had any knowledge of this. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds suspect, but lake diving has it's own challenges. 80-90 feet deep will have temps in the 40s and most students don't have the thermal protection to deal with that.

Sounds suspect, but lake diving has it's own challenges. 80-90 feet deep will have temps in the 40s and most students don't have the thermal protection to deal with that.

Funny......my ocean is in the 40's......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom