Philadelphia Quarry, Tennessee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankster1138

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well, I could wait no longer, so I decided to hop into the quarry in Philadelphia, Tennessee. It was a balmy 48 degrees at the bottom yesterday and left my lips quite numb. The surface was in the 60s, but I think the thermocline was around 18 inches deep.

Looking forward to summer warmth!

It was quite warm at Bluewater in Pelham (air temp), but I couldn't make myself take the plunge in my wetsuit with all those folks trying out dry suits from DUI. I would have stood out like a tur* in a punch bowl. There was just not enough peer pressure for that.

Beck

Well, I could wait no longer, so I decided to hop into the quarry in Philadelphia, Tennessee. It was a balmy 48 degrees at the bottom yesterday and left my lips quite numb. The surface was in the 60s, but I think the thermocline was around 18 inches deep.

Looking forward to summer warmth![/QUOTE]

I know this is bringing up a pretty old thread, but for anyone who has been in the Philadelphia quarry, is there anything to see? I cant seem to get a map of what it has and was pretty curious. I am planning to dive there in the next couple of weekends.

Well, there used to be a statue of Buddha down there. And a couple of fishing boats. I think the shark cage is gone.

Check with the guys at Adventure on Kingston Pike. I'm sure that plenty of DMs have mapped it to satisfy the class requirement.

I am doing a class with them in April, so Im sure I will find out soon enough. I just hear about some of the things many quarrys have, and it sounds exciting. Hoping Philadelphia has the same types of things. I go to UT, and Adventure appears to have become my new LDS, so I have a feeling I will be diving there several times.

Yep. You'll get to know it real well. I'm sure I'll see you there this summer. Last year we assisted my instructor with about 16 new divers from Oak Ridge in OW and AOW courses. I hope to see many of them back this year for Rescue.
The vis in Philly can be anywhere from 1 to 20 feet. It's a blue algae quarry and can be really clear if conditions are right.

It's about 20 mi. outside Knoxville down I-75 toward Chattanooga - Monroe County, I believe. Where in TN did you live? It's a really long state as you know.

I actually wont be around for the summer. Going to UT and all I try to stay away from Knoxville as long as possible each year. I will actually be doing alot of diving in Alabama over the summer, but will be back up here in the fall. Hopefully by then I will be taking my rescue class though. Do you work with them alot? Or was this more of a one time thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom