Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Quarry, Tennessee

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Philadelphia Quarry, Tennessee

Well, I could wait no longer, so I decided to hop into the quarry in Philadelphia, Tennessee. It was a balmy 48 degrees at the bottom yesterday and left my lips quite numb. The surface was in the 60s, but I think the thermocline was around 18 inches deep.

Looking forward to summer warmth!

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

48 huh?

"We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave."

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

A braver man than I....

It was quite warm at Bluewater in Pelham (air temp), but I couldn't make myself take the plunge in my wetsuit with all those folks trying out dry suits from DUI. I would have stood out like a tur* in a punch bowl. There was just not enough peer pressure for that.

Beck

Well, I could wait no longer, so I decided to hop into the quarry in Philadelphia, Tennessee. It was a balmy 48 degrees at the bottom yesterday and left my lips quite numb. The surface was in the 60s, but I think the thermocline was around 18 inches deep.

Looking forward to summer warmth![/QUOTE]
    "Work hard, rock hard, sleep hard, eat hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em." - The Webb Wilder Credo

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I know this is bringing up a pretty old thread, but for anyone who has been in the Philadelphia quarry, is there anything to see? I cant seem to get a map of what it has and was pretty curious. I am planning to dive there in the next couple of weekends.

Divemaster
    Badge

non-conformist

Dives
    500 - 999
    Well, there used to be a statue of Buddha down there. And a couple of fishing boats. I think the shark cage is gone.

Check with the guys at Adventure on Kingston Pike. I'm sure that plenty of DMs have mapped it to satisfy the class requirement.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I am doing a class with them in April, so Im sure I will find out soon enough. I just hear about some of the things many quarrys have, and it sounds exciting. Hoping Philadelphia has the same types of things. I go to UT, and Adventure appears to have become my new LDS, so I have a feeling I will be diving there several times.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Where is Philadelphia, Tennessee????

I lived various places in Tennesse for years and am in North Alabama now.

Divemaster
    Badge

non-conformist

Dives
    500 - 999
    Yep. You'll get to know it real well. I'm sure I'll see you there this summer. Last year we assisted my instructor with about 16 new divers from Oak Ridge in OW and AOW courses. I hope to see many of them back this year for Rescue.
    The vis in Philly can be anywhere from 1 to 20 feet. It's a blue algae quarry and can be really clear if conditions are right.

Divemaster
    Badge

non-conformist

Dives
    500 - 999
    It's about 20 mi. outside Knoxville down I-75 toward Chattanooga - Monroe County, I believe. Where in TN did you live? It's a really long state as you know.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I actually wont be around for the summer. Going to UT and all I try to stay away from Knoxville as long as possible each year. I will actually be doing alot of diving in Alabama over the summer, but will be back up here in the fall. Hopefully by then I will be taking my rescue class though. Do you work with them alot? Or was this more of a one time thing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast