Great Annual Fish Count Kickoff & Fish Id Seminar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Goose

Reaction score
I am extending an invite to everyone interested in the event... please feel free to PM for any questions...

You are invited…

To the Great Annual Fish Count Kickoff and Fish ID Seminar
Sponsored by The Birmingham Reef Seekers and REEF

When: May 15th @ 6:30pm

Where: At the Volkoff’s
4937 Nottingham Ln.
Birmingham, AL. 35223

Why: The Great Annual Fish Count, enjoy some BBQ & meet new friends! (BYOB)

The Great Annual Fish Count is an opportunity for divers to do their part in protecting marine life through education, service and research. The Reef Environmental Education Foundation aka REEF is a not for profit organization that collects and maintains the data from our surveys and is the main source of valuable data for organizations such as NOAA, The Nature Conservancy, Marine park managers, Universities and many other island governments. To learn more about REEF and the Great Annual Fish Count visit www.REEF.org.

Fish ID Seminar - Scheduled for May 15th…. Please RSVP. This will be a great time to learn about the animals you spend tons of money and hours diving for. The meeting will also be essential for positively identifying fish at the Survey dive.

Survey - We will be scheduling a trip down to the Gulf the weekend of July 10-11th, to conduct the actual survey. You will be using underwater slates and what you may have learned in the seminar to positively identify various species of fish and basically conduct a fish head count for that particular reef.
Prizes will be awarded for the top three with the most species positively identified. Details will be discussed at the seminar.

Support - Most importantly without organizations like REEF and The Nature Conservancy we wouldn’t have much to look at when we make out dive trips down to Florida or any part of the world… So as divers, it is in our best interests to support these organizations. So, along with the survey I am challenging every club member and diver to a fundraiser for the month of June. Here is the kicker… The top 2 fundraisers will receive prizes… with a grand prize of a free weekend of diving at any of gulf trips and second place receiving a gift certificate to a local live store.

In addition to the club prizes, REEF is awarding additional prizes i.e. trips and various diving equipment to the top fundraisers in the country…

In the coming weeks, we will be getting more information out regarding the fundraiser! Until then, Please visit www.birminghamreefseekers.com for more information, and I hope to see you at the kickoff!
____________________________________________________________________ __________________
Please RSVP by May 12th.
Call Andy Volkoff (205)298-1245 or email at avolkoff@ncpsolutions.com or post your RSVP at the club website www.birminghamreefseekers.com

Just in... some of the prizes up for grabs:
Peter Hughes Trip, Mares Diving equipment and possibly a Blackbeard's liveaboard trip... In addition to the REEF prizes, the Birmingham Reef Seekers are also offering some great prizes, including a trip to the gulf! So, come join us at the kickoff!

The Goose:
I am extending an invite to everyone interested in the event... please feel free to PM for any questions...

You are invited…

To the Great Annual Fish Count Kickoff and Fish ID Seminar
Sponsored by The Birmingham Reef Seekers and REEF

When: May 15th @ 6:30pm

Where: At the Volkoff’s
4937 Nottingham Ln.
Birmingham, AL. 35223

Why: The Great Annual Fish Count, enjoy some BBQ & meet new friends! (BYOB)

The Great Annual Fish Count is an opportunity for divers to do their part in protecting marine life through education, service and research. The Reef Environmental Education Foundation aka REEF is a not for profit organization that collects and maintains the data from our surveys and is the main source of valuable data for organizations such as NOAA, The Nature Conservancy, Marine park managers, Universities and many other island governments. To learn more about REEF and the Great Annual Fish Count visit www.REEF.org.

Fish ID Seminar - Scheduled for May 15th…. Please RSVP. This will be a great time to learn about the animals you spend tons of money and hours diving for. The meeting will also be essential for positively identifying fish at the Survey dive.

Survey - We will be scheduling a trip down to the Gulf the weekend of July 10-11th, to conduct the actual survey. You will be using underwater slates and what you may have learned in the seminar to positively identify various species of fish and basically conduct a fish head count for that particular reef.
Prizes will be awarded for the top three with the most species positively identified. Details will be discussed at the seminar.

Support - Most importantly without organizations like REEF and The Nature Conservancy we wouldn’t have much to look at when we make out dive trips down to Florida or any part of the world… So as divers, it is in our best interests to support these organizations. So, along with the survey I am challenging every club member and diver to a fundraiser for the month of June. Here is the kicker… The top 2 fundraisers will receive prizes… with a grand prize of a free weekend of diving at any of gulf trips and second place receiving a gift certificate to a local live store.

In addition to the club prizes, REEF is awarding additional prizes i.e. trips and various diving equipment to the top fundraisers in the country…

In the coming weeks, we will be getting more information out regarding the fundraiser! Until then, Please visit www.birminghamreefseekers.com for more information, and I hope to see you at the kickoff!
____________________________________________________________________ __________________
Please RSVP by May 12th.
Call Andy Volkoff (205)298-1245 or email at avolkoff@ncpsolutions.com or post your RSVP at the club website www.birminghamreefseekers.com

Way cool Goose. We should have a great turnout for this.

Beck

Peter Hughes Trip, Mares Diving equipment and possibly a Blackbeard's liveaboard trip... In addition to the REEF prizes, the Birmingham Reef Seekers are also offering some great prizes, including a trip to the gulf! So, come join us at the kickoff![/QUOTE]

Well, here is the final survey dive trip information...
Please note that the date has changed from the kickoff invitation!

Date: July 24-25th

Where: Destin, Florida

Operator: ScubaTech

Cost: $133 for two days of diving w/tanks.
$155 w/nitrox. Does not include rooms.

Hotels: There are a couple of places within a couple of blocks to ScubaTech for about $86 per night... Motel 6 & The Village INN. Please let me know if you would like us to reserve a room, otherwise you will be responsible for your own accomodations. I will be trying to get this rate down but no guarantees. If you would like to split a room with someone, please let us know and we will do our best to hook you up!

RSVP: Please RSVP as soon as possible to secure your spot on the boat. We will need to firm up with payment about 1 week prior to the trip.

Please RSVP one of the following ways: post your RSVP at www.birminghamreefseekers.com , email to avolkoff@ncpsolutions.com, call me at 205 540-4548 or feel free to RSVP at the Kickoff!
In the RSVP, Please specify Name, how to get in touch with you, air or nitrox, and if you need a room!

More details about the trip i.e. boat departures, carpools, will be posted in the coming weeks...

divebomb:
Way cool Goose. We should have a great turnout for this.

Beck

Peter Hughes Trip, Mares Diving equipment and possibly a Blackbeard's liveaboard trip... In addition to the REEF prizes, the Birmingham Reef Seekers are also offering some great prizes, including a trip to the gulf! So, come join us at the kickoff!
[/QUOTE]

I will need a $50 deposit by June 15th to save your spot on the boat... for more info see... http://www.birminghamreefseekers.co...board=The_Goose;action=display;num=1082137012

The Goose:
Well, here is the final survey dive trip information...
Please note that the date has changed from the kickoff invitation!

Date: July 24-25th

Where: Destin, Florida

Operator: ScubaTech

Cost: $133 for two days of diving w/tanks.
$155 w/nitrox. Does not include rooms.

Hotels: There are a couple of places within a couple of blocks to ScubaTech for about $86 per night... Motel 6 & The Village INN. Please let me know if you would like us to reserve a room, otherwise you will be responsible for your own accomodations. I will be trying to get this rate down but no guarantees. If you would like to split a room with someone, please let us know and we will do our best to hook you up!

RSVP: Please RSVP as soon as possible to secure your spot on the boat. We will need to firm up with payment about 1 week prior to the trip.

Please RSVP one of the following ways: post your RSVP at www.birminghamreefseekers.com , email to avolkoff@ncpsolutions.com, call me at 205 540-4548 or feel free to RSVP at the Kickoff!
In the RSVP, Please specify Name, how to get in touch with you, air or nitrox, and if you need a room!

More details about the trip i.e. boat departures, carpools, will be posted in the coming weeks...
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom