Shore diving in Georgia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am going down there for a few days in May along with my scuba gears and my dive buddy. We are looking for shore diving in Savannah,GA; Brunswick, GA; St. Mary's, GA; or Jacksonville, FL. In Brunswick, there are several islands like St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island, Cumberland Island, and etc...

Our budget are too limited for boat diving so we are looking for more options. I hope you guys can help us out.

Thank You in advance,
wildmtn

Ya know, Andrea, that's just the way it works!!!
You can have good shore dives and hurricanes like Florida or you can have no hurricanes and no shore diving like Georgia !!!

Alas, alas . . .

By the way, are you guys starting to dive frequently now? I need to get some salt water in my eyes without having to drive 6-7 hours.

The Kraken:
Ya know, Andrea, that's just the way it works!!!
You can have good shore dives and hurricanes like Florida or you can have no hurricanes and no shore diving like Georgia !!!

Alas, alas . . .

By the way, are you guys starting to dive frequently now? I need to get some salt water in my eyes without having to drive 6-7 hours.

I know...it sucks! I would love to have shore diving here, but I'd rather not get swept out to sea, so I'll stick with boat diving. (grin)

Diving..we are gearing up..YAY!!!! We've got a dive scheduled for April 30th, I can't wait. My first dive of the season...I better head to the pool to brush up.

Come on down any time, we'll make room for another.

I am wondering about St. Andrew's Sounds at Jekyll Island. There is a shrimp boat sunk not too far from the shore. I am aware that area is one of the most breeding grounds for sharks. I think it won't be safe to swim to the boat and dive because there are too many boats passing near it also or what?

Dang, just wish there are some shore diving. I need to get in the water and blow some bubbles!!! I will have to look in FL if there is something like springs so we can go and dive without having a boat.

Thanks

Ginnie is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Savannah, with Devils Den and I think it's Blue Grotto not too far. You could make a tour.

A.

Thanks Andrea31419, we have decided to go to Ginnie Springs! Now I am so looking forward to it!

Is there any diving going on near Savannah on the weekdays yet?
I plan to be in Macon on business the last week of April and am wondering if it's worth bringing my gear? I can maybe squeeze a free day on the 28th or so.
I'll drive the 3 hrs to Savannah but am not willing to drive 6 to Panama City. Anywhere else within three hours or so of Macon worth diving?
I'm itching to get wet too!!

d@n:
Is there any diving going on near Savannah on the weekdays yet?
I plan to be in Macon on business the last week of April and am wondering if it's worth bringing my gear? I can maybe squeeze a free day on the 28th or so.
I'll drive the 3 hrs to Savannah but am not willing to drive 6 to Panama City. Anywhere else within three hours or so of Macon worth diving?
I'm itching to get wet too!!

If your going to be in macon you should drive to some of the north florida springs. There are a bunch just down 75, troy springs, ginnie springs, devils den, blue grotto, to many to list, but they are only 3 to 4 hours away from macon. The only way to go out of savannah is by boat, and you take a chance of having bad weather and not going at all. Im shure you have probably dove the springs before, but they still make a great dive

kyle

Cool, Maybe I'll try that. I haven't been to any of them before so are there any recomendations in particular? What kind of exposure protection would I need? (I dive wet for now)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom