Cannister Light Simulator???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aussie82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Tobin,

I was looking at your website and noticed this product.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1335

I was wondering if this is mainly for routeing a long hose if you dont have a can light. The reason I ask is that I don't have a can light and don't see myself getting one anytime soon.(I'm a broke college student with a wife and two kids.) I do dive a BP/W (although it's not a DSS:shakehead:) and was thinking about trying a long hose set up but was wondering about hose routing without the can light. If this is not what it is for is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks,
Alastair Duncan

Tobin,

I was looking at your website and noticed this product.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1335

I was wondering if this is mainly for routeing a long hose if you dont have a can light. The reason I ask is that I don't have a can light and don't see myself getting one anytime soon.(I'm a broke college student with a wife and two kids.) I do dive a BP/W (although it's not a DSS:shakehead:) and was thinking about trying a long hose set up but was wondering about hose routing without the can light. If this is not what it is for is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks,
Alastair Duncan

Alastair,

You nailed it. The Canister Light Simulator is a just a fancy name for a piece of ABS pipe with a couple slots that allow you to lace it onto a harness waist belt.

It's easier to route a long hose under a can light than it is to jam the hose into a waist belt, and the can light simulator helps the new diver learn to manage a long hose before they buy a can light.

I originally made one for my daughter, who was certified in a BP&W with a bungeed backup and a 7 ft hose. She didn't need the added task load (and expense) of a can light, but I wanted her to develop the muscle memory of using the canister to route the hose.

An instructor friend of mind saw my daughters "simulator" and suggested I offer them for sale. We sell a surprising number of these.

Tobin

Last edited:
My wife's instructor had her use one of these for her OW class. A very clever way of getting students used to stowing/deploying the long hose. It was a very natural transition when she added a real can light a few weeks after the class.

But the CLS makes sense even if you do have a can-light. When you don't need the can-light, such as on a bright day diving solo and there is no need for a light nor anyone to signal, you can use the CLS, or what I (some time ago) made/called a LightSaver, and wrap the hose the same way without changing the location of shears, stuffing the hose in the waist-strap, near a knife, etc. My LS is/was functional but nowhere near as elegant as Tobin's CLS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom