Do you use a DSS mount for Zoop, Gekko and Vyper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beekeeper5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A few of my dive buddies have a DSS mount for their Zoops, Gekko and Vyper. I am planning to get a Zoop and when I asked them why a DSS mount, they would respond that everyone has one and the LDS says that the Suunto straps always break in a dive. I am not convinced that a Sunnto strap will break that easily... imagine the warranty issues and all the outrage on spending $$$ on a dive computer and losing it in a dive.

So, do you have a DSS mount for your dive computer? If so, why do you have one aside from the cool factor (or because the LDS told you to buy one).

I am planning to get this one: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=48

I have a Vyper, and know/seen lots of people dive Gekkos etc and never seen a broken strap yet

However the bungee mounts are easy to use and are more versatile in terms of positioning on your arm, and depth compensation (ie compression)

I wouldn't be worried about using the standard strap, but it you want ease of use/placement & find your strap gets loose/tight during a dive then get a bungee mount

Otherwise, just use the standard strap

I use one on both my Suunto Vyper Air & My Helo2. While over all nice, the 1 complaint I do have is that I use the larger size bungee on it. The sides of the holes that the bungee goes through have ripped out on both units. I wonder if using the smaller diameter bungee might not have been a smarter move. I have to frequently adjust the bungee cord because I go back 7 forth between a 3mm wetsuit & a drysuit.

I use one on both my Suunto Vyper Air & My Helo2. While over all nice, the 1 complaint I do have is that I use the larger size bungee on it. The sides of the holes that the bungee goes through have ripped out on both units. I wonder if using the smaller diameter bungee might not have been a smarter move. I have to frequently adjust the bungee cord because I go back 7 forth between a 3mm wetsuit & a drysuit.

Tammy,

Not all bungee is born equal, some is easier the stretch.

You might want to try some of the 5/32" bungee we offer. The thinner bungee stretches more with less effort.

This is what I use on my instruments that I have to stretch over my dry glove rings.

PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple feet to play with.

Tobin

hey i use a dss mount for the reason that the bungie compensates for the compression in my wetsuit as i go below 25 - 39meters. with the normal strap when you go deep enough it becomes loose and moves around. i could imagine the strap breaking over time as people tighten it at depth and then not loosen it when ascending putting extra pressure on it, the dss and bungie eliminate this problem - well almost anyway :)

I second the suit compression thing, but I also find that fastening a buckled strap with one hand is a PITA. Tobin's gauge mounts are wonderful, in my experience. I have worn through the holes before, but they're so inexpensive, I don't mind replacing them. (And I dive a LOT.)

I second the suit compression thing, but I also find that fastening a buckled strap with one hand is a PITA. Tobin's gauge mounts are wonderful, in my experience. I have worn through the holes before, but they're so inexpensive, I don't mind replacing them. (And I dive a LOT.)

They are inexpensive until you have them sent overseas lol Three gauge mounts for USD50.00, UPS Courier to NZ USD86.00. Might go the standard post service next time :crafty:

I love mine, I have one on my Gekko and one on my compass, nice and easy to get on and off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom