DSS BP/W recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pnw_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm interested in changing from my back-inflate BC to a BP/W setup for cold water.

Here's what I use now.

7mm 2pc farmer John/Jacket w/hood & gloves and 7mm Bare Ice boots - I am strongly considering going to a drysuit very soon, though I do not know which one I will choose.
Apollo bio-fins
Sequest Black Diamond BC with 10lbs ballast in trim pockets. I do not use the integrated weight pockets.
Weight harness with 27lbs ballast
Apeks TX-50 with Aqualung Titan octo & console.
PST HP 100 tank
I usually (but not always) carry a UK D4 primary light and Ikelite backup light.

I'm a big guy - 6'0" tall and about 285#.

What can you recommend?

I'm interested in changing from my back-inflate BC to a BP/W setup for cold water.

Here's what I use now.

7mm 2pc farmer John/Jacket w/hood & gloves and 7mm Bare Ice boots - I am strongly considering going to a drysuit very soon, though I do not know which one I will choose.
Apollo bio-fins
Sequest Black Diamond BC with 10lbs ballast in trim pockets. I do not use the integrated weight pockets.
Weight harness with 27lbs ballast
Apeks TX-50 with Aqualung Titan octo & console.
PST HP 100 tank
I usually (but not always) carry a UK D4 primary light and Ikelite backup light.

I'm a big guy - 6'0" tall and about 285#.

What can you recommend?

Hi pnw_diver,

At 6 ft you can use either a medium or large back plate. The large plate would be the choice if you are "long waisted".

If looks like you are currently diving with about 39-40 lbs of Ballast, your reg is about -2 lbs and your cylinder is about -2 lbs empty.

Your current BC is very likely ~4 lbs positive due to padding etc.

40-4 =36. I'd estimate your current 7mm suit is about 36 lbs positive.

That makes a LCD 40 a reasonable choice for a wing.

Your rig, i.e. plate, tank, reg and harness will provide about 13 lbs of ballast, when your cylinder is empty and you need ~34-36 lbs.

That makes the 8.1 lbs (per pair) bolt on weights worth consideration.

That makes your rig - 21 with an empty tank and ~-29 when the HP100 is full.

You will need another 12-16 lbs in a belt or harness.

Recap:

Large SS plate
Hogarthian Harness
LCD 40 Wing
(cambands and wedge blocks included)

Optional 8.1 lbs bolt on weights

Tobin

Large SS plate
Hogarthian Harness
LCD 40 Wing
(cambands and wedge blocks included)

Optional 8.1 lbs bolt on weights

Tobin - I assume that the above includes all necessary hardware, etc. for assembly?

Also - I'm large in the chest and waist. Is the included 12ft of webbing pretty much a "one size fits all" solution, or would it be advisable to order longer webbing?

Tobin - I assume that the above includes all necessary hardware, etc. for assembly?

Yes, all the required bits are furnished

Also - I'm large in the chest and waist. Is the included 12ft of webbing pretty much a "one size fits all" solution, or would it be advisable to order longer webbing?

12 ft would most likely do the job, as a separate sewn piece is furnish for the crotch strap.

12 ft = 144 inches, even with a ~50" waist that leaves almost 4 ft for each shoulder strap.:wink:

Tobin

Tobin -

Just received my new BP/W setup via UPS. I haven't put it all together yet (being at work and all), but I'm impressed with the quality of construction. I can't wait to get this thing in the water and try it out!

Tobin -

Just received my new BP/W setup via UPS. I haven't put it all together yet (being at work and all), but I'm impressed with the quality of construction. I can't wait to get this thing in the water and try it out!

Glad to hear the goodies arrived, let me know if you have any questions.

Tobin

Finally got a chance to try out the new BP/W. I was quite pleased with the results. I was able to move a lot of weight off my waist (~15 lbs) and I found adjusting my trim to be very easy using the weight plates on the backplate and the 12 lbs of ballast in my harness. I was a bit skeptical about the Hogarthian harness, but I found it to be very comfortable, and even adjusted a tad loose, the backplate/tank stayed where it belonged. I hardly knew it was there, both underwater and during the surface swim.

Finally got a chance to try out the new BP/W. I was quite pleased with the results. I was able to move a lot of weight off my waist (~15 lbs) and I found adjusting my trim to be very easy using the weight plates on the backplate and the 12 lbs of ballast in my harness. I was a bit skeptical about the Hogarthian harness, but I found it to be very comfortable, and even adjusted a tad loose, the backplate/tank stayed where it belonged. I hardly knew it was there, both underwater and during the surface swim.

I'm pleased to hear you are having success with your new gear. Thanks for letting me know.

Tobin

Several cold water dives later, I'm still loving the new rig.

I've been thinking about what I'm going to do on tropical dive trips. I prefer to bring most of my own gear.

What I'm thinking is that since most rental tanks are going to be AL-80's, that I can remove the extra weight plates and use the steel backplate as-is. The LCD-40 wing is probably overkill, but I used to dive a BCD with a greater lift, so I can deal with that.

What do you think about that? Large SS BP with no extra weight, LCD-40 wing, and a 3mm wetsuit, probably with a few pounds of extra ballast on the belt. Sound reasonable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom