Changing from wet to Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Tobin,

Well still loving my DSS gear but the cold is getting to me slowly and I am considering getting a drysuit sooner rather than later especially as I am starting to look at more technical training.

Recap of current setup:

Long Pattern SS back plate
Torus 26 Wing
Hogarthian Harness

I am currently diving a Mare Trilastic 5/4/3mm wetsuit and use the following weighting:

Faber 15L Steel - I need 6lbs and this has been checked a few times on dives Faber tank Specs in Australia

Faber 12.2L standard length tank - I am a little light at safety stop with 6lbs

AL80 - I use 12lb's (2 on lower tank band and 2 on belt) Not dialled that one in exactly yet but it feels right so far.

I am looking at the Whites fusion drysuits, either a bullet or a tech skin but will probably be the new bullet and Whites reckon I need a 2XL/3Xl in a tech skin or a 4xl in a bullet skin.

As I'm in Australia the water is not as cold here, more uncomfortable during surface interval than anything. Winter water temps down to 60F at recreational depths, surface temp at that time around low 50F's
From what I can see I should be able to get away with 4th element undies and I'm looking at a combo of Drybase and Arctic undies as a maximum and just the Arctic and then just drybase as the water temp climbs.

I unfortunately have no idea what the buoyancy of this combo would be so hope that your experience will help here. The 4th element undies do not appear to be high volume/high loft. The Arctic is a high density fleece which looks kinda like polartec.

Would I still be able to get away with using the T26 wing with this drysuit setup and a single 15L tank?

Next question, assuming that same drysuit/undies setup, what would be my requirements for transitioning to doubles using 2 x Faber 12.2L tanks?

As I'm intending to do the TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco course I need to allow for a deco tank as well.

Should I be making allowance for a stage/travel gas tank as well while doing these calculations?

Thanks for your help as always and some fun news - DSS appears to be fashionable in Brisbane, Australia right now. 4 seperate DSS rigs/divers that I know of now.

Hi Tobin,

Well still loving my DSS gear but the cold is getting to me slowly and I am considering getting a drysuit sooner rather than later especially as I am starting to look at more technical training.

Recap of current setup:

Long Pattern SS back plate
Torus 26 Wing
Hogarthian Harness

I am currently diving a Mare Trilastic 5/4/3mm wetsuit and use the following weighting:

Faber 15L Steel - I need 6lbs and this has been checked a few times on dives Faber tank Specs in Australia

Faber 12.2L standard length tank - I am a little light at safety stop with 6lbs

AL80 - I use 12lb's (2 on lower tank band and 2 on belt) Not dialled that one in exactly yet but it feels right so far.

I am looking at the Whites fusion drysuits, either a bullet or a tech skin but will probably be the new bullet and Whites reckon I need a 2XL/3Xl in a tech skin or a 4xl in a bullet skin.

As I'm in Australia the water is not as cold here, more uncomfortable during surface interval than anything. Winter water temps down to 60F at recreational depths, surface temp at that time around low 50F's
From what I can see I should be able to get away with 4th element undies and I'm looking at a combo of Drybase and Arctic undies as a maximum and just the Arctic and then just drybase as the water temp climbs.

I unfortunately have no idea what the buoyancy of this combo would be so hope that your experience will help here. The 4th element undies do not appear to be high volume/high loft. The Arctic is a high density fleece which looks kinda like polartec.

Would I still be able to get away with using the T26 wing with this drysuit setup and a single 15L tank?

Next question, assuming that same drysuit/undies setup, what would be my requirements for transitioning to doubles using 2 x Faber 12.2L tanks?

As I'm intending to do the TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco course I need to allow for a deco tank as well.

Should I be making allowance for a stage/travel gas tank as well while doing these calculations?

Thanks for your help as always and some fun news - DSS appears to be fashionable in Brisbane, Australia right now. 4 seperate DSS rigs/divers that I know of now.

BB1,

You need to test the buoyancy of your new drysuit. If it is less than 26 lbs positive with minimum gas in it your current wing will be ok.

To test your suit:

Put on your heaviest undies and your suit

Jump into neck deep water with a big bag of lead.

Vent the suit while standing

Remove lead until you just barely sink when you pick up your feet

Weigh the bag of lead. This is the buoyancy of the suit with min gas in it.

You will need this info to size your doubles wing also.

I need the buoyancy numbers on the tanks you plan to double, i.e. buoyancy full and empty.

Edit, I saw your tank spec link, thanks that's quite helpful. Which 12.2L?

Tobin

Last edited:
Edit, I saw your tank spec link, thanks that's quite helpful. Which 12.2L?

Tobin

Standard. You rarely see the compact, & I'v never seen them doubled. They'd be very head heavy.

Thanks Kern,

Yep it'd be the standard length tank. I put that up in the single tank info but forgot further down with the doubles.

Kern, any idea how buoyant your fusion is?? I am looking at the 4th element arctic over drybase, would that be warm enough for Australian waters - I don't feel the cold that much compared to others.

Has your drysuit come back yet??

Thanks Kern,

Yep it'd be the standard length tank. I put that up in the single tank info but forgot further down with the doubles.

Kern, any idea how buoyant your fusion is?? I am looking at the 4th element arctic over drybase, would that be warm enough for Australian waters - I don't feel the cold that much compared to others.

Has your drysuit come back yet??

I haven't done a buoyancy test for the suit, just an all up check I'm afraid. I'd estimate it at around the 20lb or so mark though. Will you be warm enough? Very subjective, but I think I would be, & I don't like no cold stuff.

I mainly use a Mk2 Whites undies with a 4th element vest. I think what you've optioned might be a little less, buoyancy wise, but in the ball park. For singles I currently use a 12lt steel tank & BP with a 26lb T wing, 14lb on a weight belt. I'm thinking about altering that to a 35lb wing with 8lb weight plates on the BP, & 6lb on the weight belt.

Suit should be winging its way back about now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom