Backplate weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I was looking at one of your single tank packages. I usually dive in a 7mm wetsuit with 14lbs, and a lp steel 95. I saw the BP was almost 6 lbs and the weights say 8.1. Is that 4.05 per plate or 8 per plate? If 8 per plate the 16 + 6 would be too much weight for me even when diving an AL80 and if its 4, then the total of 14 would be just right when I am using my 95's. Just wanted to make sure before I order what they are?

Hi, I was looking at one of your single tank packages. I usually dive in a 7mm wetsuit with 14lbs, and a lp steel 95. I saw the BP was almost 6 lbs and the weights say 8.1. Is that 4.05 per plate or 8 per plate? If 8 per plate the 16 + 6 would be too much weight for me even when diving an AL80 and if its 4, then the total of 14 would be just right when I am using my 95's. Just wanted to make sure before I order what they are?

ReeferBen,

The weight plates are just over 4 lbs each, for a total of 8.1 lbs per pair

I don't think you need them however.

Right now you are using about 18 lbs of total ballast. 14 lead, ~2 for your reg and ~2 for an empty lp95. Your current BC is probably a little positive too.

A medium plate and harness will provide about 6 lbs of ballast, your reg ~2 and your tank another ~2 lbs for a total of 10 lbs.

Without the inherent buoyancy of your current BC you will likely need only about another 6 lbs of ballast.

I'd suggest using a ~6 lbs weight belt. Almost all divers can easily tolerate 6-8 lbs in a weight.

For single tank wetsuit diving I like to see at least 4 lbs of ditchable ballast. This allow the diver to get positive at the surface in the event of a wing failure.

If you are 5'4" - 6' you can use a medium plate. If your current 7mm suit is the most buoyant suit you plan to use I'd recommend Torus 26 wing.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom