Weight Belt weighting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkkchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So when diving in warm waters I use a Torus 27 with a medium SS plate, full 3mm suit and NO extra weight. I find I am perfectly trimmed out, but I know there are a lot of "issues" discussed with having no ditch-able weight.

What would the general thought be? Maybe wear an AL plate and put 4lbs on a belt?

I don't personally have a problem with having no ditch-able weight as I feel I could swim up my rig if I had a major wing failure... But just curious to peoples general opinion :idk:

So when diving in warm waters I use a Torus 27 with a medium SS plate, full 3mm suit and NO extra weight. I find I am perfectly trimmed out, but I know there are a lot of "issues" discussed with having no ditch-able weight.

What would the general thought be? Maybe wear an AL plate and put 4lbs on a belt?

I don't personally have a problem with having no ditch-able weight as I feel I could swim up my rig if I had a major wing failure... But just curious to peoples general opinion :idk:

People do exactly that on a routine basis. In a 3mm suit you just won't ever be very negative, maybe 6 lbs with a full cylinder. Easy to swim up.

With thin suits you more or less have to ditch the rig in event of a buoyancy failure + long stay on the surface regardless of how what you use for a plate.

Tobin

If you can't kick up an 8lb back plate with an AL80, you have to reconsider your propulsion techniques... Day one of our OW class is pulling a 10lb brick off the bottom of the pool. It's not that bad. I dive without a belt whenever possible, it's a PIA and if it falls off, it can be potentially disastrous. Had a buddy in a 7mm farmer john with an AL80 and his weight belt fell off. Thank God we were in a quarry and he could grab onto the dock we were playing around so he didn't shoot off like a missile, but in open water, it's dangerous IMHO. If you're down deep enough for long enough and you go up to the surface, that's potential to get Bent, not worth it. I think the big thing with non ditchable is for people that are grossly overweight *i.e. diving naked with double 130's and a SS backplate* or for those that can't get in an out of their gear quickly... which is a problem.

Yeah I agree totally with the comments so far.

Just seems like the question comes up a lot when I am on the boat/resort, esp in SE Asia. People don't see many backplate divers at general recreational dive resorts, and I have had Instructors give me the run around about not having ditch-able weight, etc., etc. But then again, they also label me a TECH diver just because of my gear, which I am not in any way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom