Wing recommedation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montana Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tobin;

I have been struggling with my current wing setup and I am ready to change.

Tropics
2.5/2 mm full wetsuit
Weight harness w/ 8 lbs Ocean water
AL 80 or 100
Dive rite reg
Bio fins
Halcyon SS BP w eclipse 27, Hog harness
3 mm boots

Drysuit
DUI CLX450 w 400 g undergarment
Weight Harness w/ 16 lbs Fresh water
HP119 Worthington
Dive rite reg DIN
Hollis F1
rock boots, 5 mm hood and gloves

The problem has been in fresh water diving dry. The 27 barely floats my tank, necessitating the removal of integrated weight pockets and placing them on a harness. While working on my rescue class I was forced to add air to the drysuit at the surface when simulating resuscitation. Blowing up the drysuit is not a great solution, since it impedes the ability to get to shore, and the air vents at inopportune times.

I am ready to solve this issue and not certain as the best product, however I have narrowed it down to one supplier. I looked at the Torus 35 and the LCD 40. What is your recommendation?

If you do all the weight calculations, please me aware that the 16 lbs drysuit weight is one dive, 12 ffw, possibly 2 lbs heavy. I did not get down to a low enough PSI to do a weight check since this was training dives for Rescue. I was just going off my previous dives with old drysuit.

Thanks for your assistance. Please let me know what additional information you would like from me.

Dennis

Tobin;

I have been struggling with my current wing setup and I am ready to change.

Tropics
2.5/2 mm full wetsuit
Weight harness w/ 8 lbs Ocean water
AL 80 or 100
Dive rite reg
Bio fins
3 mm boots

Drysuit
DUI CLX450 w 400 g undergarment
Weight Harness w/ 16 lbs Fresh water
HP119 Worthington
Dive rite reg DIN
Hollis F1
rock boots, 5 mm hood and gloves

The problem has been in fresh water diving dry. The 27 barely floats my tank, necessitating the removal of integrated weight pockets and placing them on a harness. While working on my rescue class I was forced to add air to the drysuit at the surface when simulating resuscitation. Blowing up the drysuit is not a great solution, since it impedes the ability to get to shore, and the air vents at inopportune times.

I am ready to solve this issue and not certain as the best product, however I have narrowed it down to one supplier. I looked at the Torus 35 and the LCD 40. What is your recommendation?

If you do all the weight calculations, please me aware that the 16 lbs drysuit weight is one dive, 12 ffw, possibly 2 lbs heavy. I did not get down to a low enough PSI to do a weight check since this was training dives for Rescue. I was just going off my previous dives with old drysuit.

Thanks for your assistance. Please let me know what additional information you would like from me.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I looks like you are using about 24~26 lbs of total ballast for your cold water configuration. You don't mention a STA, I assume you are not using a weighted STA.

That's border line for a 27 lbs wing.

The Torus 35 will be plenty.

Tobin

Figured you would ask about a STA after I posted. No I am not using one. Thought the Torus was the best solution. Now I need to prevent my wife from seeing the AMEX bill next month. Just finished a garage sale and sold an item that I hadn't advertised. Nearly paid for the wing with that item.

Thanks for all your advice and assistance, you are a great resource.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom