DSS "Cinch" System?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

narced_1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This might be directed to Tobin the most...

I have recently seen the Halcyon Cinch system...What can i say, i like it.

Does anyone know if DSS has a Similar item/kit, if not does the halcyon one fit on a DSS Plate?

Thanks!

Der (smacks forehead)...Good Idea!, thanks

This might be directed to Tobin the most...

I have recently seen the Halcyon Cinch system...What can i say, i like it.

Does anyone know if DSS has a Similar item/kit, if not does the halcyon one fit on a DSS Plate?

Thanks!

Given the variations in back plate geometry the likelyhood that any accessory designed for one brand will fit another is remote.

The DSS glide harness adapter is intended to be used on one side of the harness, not both.

If one side is loosened it's very easy to roll out of the harness.

The DSS glide harness adapter is not intended to make harnesses adjustable "on the fly"

The Glide harness adapter fits all sizes of DSS Stainless Plates, and it compatible with our bolt on weights. The Glide harness adapter is not compatible with DSS Kydex plates, or any other brand of back plate.

Tobin

With the "Glide" adaptor, would i be able to sit down and slide some of the strap out to loosen it...(i don't plan to adjust "on the fly"). Conversly, would i be able to use it to adjust quickly from 3mm to ds??.

The hardest thing that i have with my Hog harness is folding my stiff shoulders out of it. (hence the appeal of the "Cinch")

is there is reason that it should not be used on both sides?

I am largely looking for "donning and doffing" ease.
specially for when i lend my BP set up to a student or someone else, it would be easier if i could just "adjust and go" (and an easier buy for them if it is "super easy").....

Thanks for the reply.

If you are adjusting for fit, I'd assume you'd need two. But, I've also heard complaints of people with a cinch type harness that they have to get used to (or don't) fiddling with it at every dive to get the right fit.

If you get one shoulder loose, the other should be easy enough to get out. Also, make sure the harness isn't too tight. I can slip in and out of mine faster than most can put on a BC. The crotch strap is what pulls the straps snug more so than the shoulder straps being tight.

A final option is to put a quick disconnect of some type on one strap. I'd think twice if you are diving doubles, but for singles, would probably be OK. I know a few divers would shoulder mobility problems who do this and it seems to work for them.

With the "Glide" adaptor, would i be able to sit down and slide some of the strap out to loosen it...(i don't plan to adjust "on the fly").

Yes, that's exactly how it works.

Conversly, would i be able to use it to adjust quickly from 3mm to ds??.

DSS stainless plates have molded in rubber grommets at the harness slots. These have built in webbing retainers. That makes adjustments pretty easy as you are not fighting with a triglide on the back of plate. I can adjust a harness in a minute or two.

The hardest thing that i have with my Hog harness is folding my stiff shoulders out of it. (hence the appeal of the "Cinch")

is there is reason that it should not be used on both sides?

You don't need one on both sides.

I am largely looking for "donning and doffing" ease.

Once you get *ONE* arm out how hard is it to get the rest of the way out of your harness?

specially for when i lend my BP set up to a student or someone else, it would be easier if i could just "adjust and go" (and an easier buy for them if it is "super easy").....

Quick adjust style harnesses do make a BP&W seems less intimidating to the uninitiated who are more familiar with vests / jacket BC's festooned with adjustments and straps and etc.

Sliding waist straps seem like a means to have a quick adjust harness on a back plate, but the reality is little different.

On a single piece harness the shoulder straps become the waist strap at the lower slots. If a barrel chested 5'11" tall diver has his harness *and* chest drings correctly positioned and then a petite woman adjusts this harness via a two sided sliding waist straps the chest drings will no doubt end up in the wrong place, and the crotch strap will also need adjustment.

Even with a "fixed" attachment for the left hip dring, "Mid-line" on my body, won't be the same distance from the back plate as Mid line on a more slender diver. Again this will require adjustment based on the body type.

The bottom line is instant total adjustment (shoulder straps, crotch strap, dring location) of a "Hog" harness is an elusive goal.

The glide harness adapter is not intended to provide this instant total adjustment. It is intended to make donning and doffing easier for those with limited range of motion in their arms and shoulders.

To achieve this only one is required.

I'll add that most divers don't need even one glide harness adapter. The vast majority of the many many thousands of BP&W's being used with single piece harnesses are used without any sliders etc.

If a diver is struggling donning or doffing a Hog harness in almost all cases they have their harness too tight. This is very commonly seen in new BP&W divers who are accustomed to wearing a jacket / vest style bc harness as tight as they can get it in a failed attempt to keep their tank from moving / flopping around.

With a back plate it is simply not necessary to wear a harness eye popping tight.

Tobin

Last edited:
mmm...maybe i should meet you for a dive sometime and you can give my "rig" a once over :)

very good information, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom