Wing size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timten

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Tobin,
I'm looking for your help selecting a wing size. I'm currently diving with 24 lbs of Lead and a steel 80. I use a 1 piece 7mm suit. Im 5'6" and around 175lbs. I spoke with you on the phone but can't remember which wing you recommended. I'm hoping to get a dry suit in a year or so. If I wasnt going to get anything to bouyant what would you recommend? Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tobin,
I'm looking for your help selecting a wing size. I'm currently diving with 24 lbs of Lead and a steel 80. I use a 1 piece 7mm suit. Im 5'6" and around 175lbs. I spoke with you on the phone but can't remember which wing you recommended. I'm hoping to get a dry suit in a year or so. If I wasnt going to get anything to bouyant what would you recommend? Thanks,
Tim

It depends a bit on which steel 80 you were using. Assuming it was *not* one of the very negative HP80's then you are currently using about 28 lbs of total ballast.

That makes a LCD 30 a reasonable choice.

I can only *guess* at what you might need for a drysuit you don't yet own.

Tobin

Thanks for the reply. Would a 30 lb wing be enough to lift the average dry suit? Sorry for the newb question. The tank is a Fabar HP 80, I'm really hoping to get a HP 100 in the next few months.

Thanks for the reply. Would a 30 lb wing be enough to lift the average dry suit? Sorry for the newb question. The tank is a Fabar HP 80, I'm really hoping to get a HP 100 in the next few months.

I need reliable numbers to be able to make a safe, accurate recommendation.

faber HP 80's (3180psi "+") are ~-8 lbs empty. That makes your total ballast currently about 34 lbs.

That's quite a bit of ballast, and I suspect you are over weighted.

I'd recommend you give me another cal before you order anything.

Tobin

Oh boy, heading out to the loading dock to wait for my BP/W. Now the hard part, getting it past the wife without hearing "don't you already have one of those". I can't wait to try it out.

Oh boy, heading out to the loading dock to wait for my BP/W. Now the hard part, getting it past the wife without hearing "don't you already have one of those". I can't wait to try it out.

Your secret is safe with me. :wink:

Enjoy the gear, if you have questions let me know.

Tobin

I'm really impressed with the quality of the whole kit. I really like the disconnect on the inflator hose. Everything seems so well thought out. I have a few noob questions, what is the tire sections used for and the white line? Thanks again, I can't wait to take it on a dive.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the whole kit. I really like the disconnect on the inflator hose. Everything seems so well thought out. I have a few noob questions, what is the tire sections used for and the white line? Thanks again, I can't wait to take it on a dive.

The inner tube loop above the left dring is for the LP hose that feeds the power inflator. The lp hose, not the corrugated hose.

The other two inner tube loops, the ones below the chest drings are use to hold the lower end of cylindrical backup lights.

The #24 nylon line is included as a courtesy if you ned to tie off any bolts snaps, for example on your primary regulator, back up lights or SPG.

Tobin

LOL - I always wondered about that #24 line and now I know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom