Can you bend a back plat with a wing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good afternoon,
Can you bend a backplate with a wing ?
If you had a wing mounted between a plate and the cylinder or cylinders and you were to inflate the wing , could you bend the plate if the wing had no free space to inflate into ?

I remember something about this from a few years back but couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance,
Jim breslin

Yes. I think Tobin tested it once; if you put a single-tank wing onto double-tanks, and inflate the wing, you can bend even a steel backplate. Surprising, to say the least.

Good afternoon,
Can you bend a backplate with a wing ?
If you had a wing mounted between a plate and the cylinder or cylinders and you were to inflate the wing , could you bend the plate if the wing had no free space to inflate into ?

I remember something about this from a few years back but couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance,
Jim breslin

I believe you are referencing a case where a singles wing (Not DSS!) was mistakenly sold to a for use on a set of doubles.

If a singles wing is "trapped" between a back plate and a set of doubles it is possible to bend the back plate by inflating the wing because the expanding wing has no where else to go. The inflatable portion of a singles wing extends inside the outline of the back plate.

Very large forces are possible with enough square inches of low pressure gas.

This bag is holding up *Tons*
inflatable_jack_gallery001.jpg

If a single wing is fitted to a single cylinder the wing can expand around the cylinder, and if a doubles wing is fitted to a set of doubles the wing will expand beyond the outline of the backplate, neither will put any appreciable load on the back plate.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom