Wigh lift for Rig what about led in weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Tobin

I was thinking about what you said about what your wing needs to do. How to calculate the lift you need and so forth. We talked about my gear and talked about personal buoyancy. Single XS100, Large SS backplate, & regs leads to 18lb +/- for the rig. I ware also a 3mm wetsuite most of the time. You recommended the Torus26.

My question is that what about the led I carry on my weight belt??? Does my personal buoyancy cover that or wing lift cover that? Then how does that relate to depth and suit compression(if I lose suit buoyancy then the led is dead weight)? What if led is more than the 8 pounds I have left from rig weight to wing lift?

Thank you

With SS plate and HP100 tank you should have about -8lbs at the end. This should be pretty much all you need. I have HP119 and SS plate and don't need weight for 3mm (or 5mm) wetsuit.

Hey Tobin

I was thinking about what you said about what your wing needs to do. How to calculate the lift you need and so forth. We talked about my gear and talked about personal buoyancy. Single XS100, Large SS backplate, & regs leads to 18lb +/- for the rig. I ware also a 3mm wetsuite most of the time. You recommended the Torus26.

My question is that what about the led I carry on my weight belt??? Does my personal buoyancy cover that or wing lift cover that? Then how does that relate to depth and suit compression(if I lose suit buoyancy then the led is dead weight)? What if led is more than the 8 pounds I have left from rig weight to wing lift?

Thank you

Exact total ballast has to be determined empirically, only a real life in water test will provide the answer.

Having said that take a look at why divers use ballast at all.

To offset the positive buoyancy of thing they take diving that *float*

That includes:

1) Buoyant exposure suits

2) Buoyant tanks (if buoyant tanks are used)

3) Personal buoyancy (this may be neutral, positive or negative)

What's the minimum ballast needed for any dive?

Enough to offset the positive buoyancy of 1-3 above at your shallow stop with a (near) empty tank.

The rig you describe will provide about 11 lbs of ballast with an empty cylinder, 7 for the large SS plate and harness, 2 for your reg, and 2 for the empty cylinder.

That's sounds like a *Lot* for a 3mm suit.

If you have specific questions regarding gear selection I'd suggest you call me. It's way too easy for questions to be misunderstood on public forums and odd responses can result.

Tobin

OK my personal (pos) buoyancy does not change with any depth. I use led to compensate for the buoyancy of my suit 5lb +/- now when that suit is at 130+ft it is not very buoyant then and only then does my wing need to be able to compensate for that 5lb +/-??? Because I do not use that 5lb to compensate for my own pos buoyancy.

Tobin the reason I said 18lb was if my 100 was full it would be 18lb with the rest of the rig.

Iztok, Thank you but I do know how much weight I need I am a very +buoyant person so just -8lb would not even do it for me with no wetsuit and I have tried it in a pool so I know for sure.

OK my personal (pos) buoyancy does not change with any depth. I use led to compensate for the buoyancy of my suit 5lb +/- now when that suit is at 130+ft it is not very buoyant then and only then does my wing need to be able to compensate for that 5lb +/-??? Because I do not use that 5lb to compensate for my own pos buoyancy.

Tobin the reason I said 18lb was if my 100 was full it would be 18lb with the rest of the rig.

Iztok, Thank you but I do know how much weight I need I am a very +buoyant person so just -8lb would not even do it for me with no wetsuit and I have tried it in a pool so I know for sure.

You still need to do an actual test. More questions? Call me.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom