Extremely Satisfied Customer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuban

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had been on quite a few dives, since I had been certified, but never tried a BP/W. With time I looked into the concept, and I figured to take the plunge and let me tell you, boy am I happy. Tobin helped me out with sizing of my wing and I can safely say I was a bit hesitant. I dive mostly in warm water, AL80s, 3/2 mm wetsuit and about 12-15lbs of ballast. His suggestion, SS BP and a Torus 17lb wing. I couldn't believe this would lift me but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Recently, I was able to test the gear in The Philippines, and it was perfect. 8lbs of additional ballast on a weight belt, plus the same gear described before and I had no problem with buoyancy, and I am still working to see if I can reduce that weight further. Thanks for your help Tobin! Just goes to show everyone out there debating that 17lb wing, that it can be a great idea for tropical diving. No problem whatsoever traveling either as I was still well below the 50lbs to my bag (gear plus clothing).

I had been on quite a few dives, since I had been certified, but never tried a BP/W. With time I looked into the concept, and I figured to take the plunge and let me tell you, boy am I happy. Tobin helped me out with sizing of my wing and I can safely say I was a bit hesitant. I dive mostly in warm water, AL80s, 3/2 mm wetsuit and about 12-15lbs of ballast. His suggestion, SS BP and a Torus 17lb wing. I couldn't believe this would lift me but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Recently, I was able to test the gear in The Philippines, and it was perfect. 8lbs of additional ballast on a weight belt, plus the same gear described before and I had no problem with buoyancy, and I am still working to see if I can reduce that weight further. Thanks for your help Tobin! Just goes to show everyone out there debating that 17lb wing, that it can be a great idea for tropical diving. No problem whatsoever traveling either as I was still well below the 50lbs to my bag (gear plus clothing).

Very cool!

Thanks for the field report.

My guess is with a 3/2 suit and al 80 you should be able to trim most of the 8 lbs of lead from your belt.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom