anyone have questions about juicing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm,
If your talking about steroids you may want to move this to the Strength Conditioning and Excercise forum. (That was sort of a joke, I guess).
Otherwise, I do have a question.
Why the heck are juicers so much more expensive than blenders? They seem overpriced, like fad pricing??

They aren't. you can get a manual juicer for $17
Amazon.com: Chef's Star Manual Hand Crank Single Auger Juicer w/ Suction Base: Cold Press Juicer: Kitchen & Dining

The difference between a blender and a juicer is that the juicer only extracts the juice where a blender will mash it all together and just make a soupy, often undrinkable mess.

The juicer takes the vitamins / minerals and disposes of the pulp seperately. The better juicers will leave less mouisture in the pulp at the end. Mine is electric and was $70

I learned everything I know about juicing from John Pinette ...

[video=youtube;JP9Ak6PlOfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9Ak6PlOfI[/video]

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

With a little added water or unsweetened almond milk, my vitamix turns large quantities of frozen, fibrous greens like kale and collards into something only slightly less liquid than pure water...is there any nutritional benefit (versus drinkability due to less solid matter) to going the juicer route?

Ah, I think the Vitamix type is what I looked at, they are pricy. I don't hate pulp, but I have not tried any of these gizmos yet. I want to. Seems like having more of the fibrous stuff might be a good thing ??

I don't understand whats bad about pulp, other than personal preference. Don't we eat the pulp when we eat raw fruits and vegetables?

My wife bought a Green Star unit out of Korea. You can juice an ungodly amount of veg that in now way could you eat even if blended to a liquid. It's a PITA to clean and gets used occasionally...very occasionally. You can't deny getting all that green goodness is great for one's health but it would so much easier if like the movie stars someone else did it for you.

But then wouldn't everything be easier?

Yeah, the Vitamix was stupidly expensive. But I was sold on it before buying from, my ex insisting on getting one, me mocking it as an expensive/gadgety thing that would take up counter space and be a PITA to clean (like my old Ninja blender), but then being blown away by how completely it liquefied things into tasty beverage-meals and how easily it just rinsed clean. After that experience, $500 for one of my own was a no-brainer.

A juicer would give a better 'good veggie stuff':volume ratio, but I get something like 400 calories worth of raw kale and collards (plus other stuff) into an easily drinkable 1.5 or so solo cup morning smoothie with the vitamix. That's good enough I guess.

I have heard the vitamix is spectacular but like you said, expensive.

There's nothing wrong with eating the pulp but the juicing extracts most of the vitamin/mineral content out. If you are able to eat two cucumber, three sticks of celery, a tomato, an apple, and several stalks of kale in one sitting, I think your belly is gonna be hurting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom