Calories..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on how you decide to approach weight loss, be it through one of the new fad diets such as South Beach or Atkins or just attacking it with the ESE approach (eat smart and exercise!), everything boils down to what your eating. While trying to learn more about some of the foods and meals I eat and what I can do to maximize my change in diet without removing some of my favorite foods I came across a website that has a database of 30,000 foods nutritional information. Check it out, you may be surprised at what some foods come up with in ways of calories and other things that effect how you look when you stare at yourself in the mirror.

http://www.calorieking.com/

CBulla:
Depending on how you decide to approach weight loss, be it through one of the new fad diets such as South Beach or Atkins or just attacking it with the ESE approach (eat smart and exercise!), everything boils down to what your eating. While trying to learn more about some of the foods and meals I eat and what I can do to maximize my change in diet without removing some of my favorite foods I came across a website that has a database of 30,000 foods nutritional information. Check it out, you may be surprised at what some foods come up with in ways of calories and other things that effect how you look when you stare at yourself in the mirror.

http://www.calorieking.com/
There is also a great database at http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR15/sr15.html

Here are your tax dollars at work. It's the USDA's database of foods. Pretty much everything is in here except specific brand name items. The cool thing about this database is the huge amount of data on each food. Check it out.

tholt576:
There is also a great database at http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR15/sr15.html

Here are your tax dollars at work. It's the USDA's database of foods. Pretty much everything is in here except specific brand name items. The cool thing about this database is the huge amount of data on each food. Check it out.

I attribute part of my success to a program called FitDay. There's a free web based version (www.fotday.com), or for $20 you ge tthe pc version. It has a food database, and you can add custom items as well. I'm doing Atkins, but you just won't loose any weight going through a day eating 4-5000 calories... It really helped open my eyes to what I was eating and the direct effect on my weight.

netmage:
I attribute part of my success to a program called FitDay. There's a free web based version (www.fotday.com), or for $20 you ge tthe pc version. It has a food database, and you can add custom items as well. I'm doing Atkins, but you just won't loose any weight going through a day eating 4-5000 calories... It really helped open my eyes to what I was eating and the direct effect on my weight.
I used a palm program called e-diet manager, it really helped me, but I do think there are probably better palm programs out there.

I've been using the free trial of Diet Power (www.dietpower.com) for a couple of weeks and am having good success. It's a very sophisticated program with tons of features and easy to use. You can add your own foods and recipes, plan long or short range goals, track nutrients, log exercise, etc. I can't believe how many calories I was consuming before. The registered version is about 50 bucks, but for me it's well worth it.

Neil

netmage:

It's www.fitday.com. I checked it out. IMO, if the PC version is the same as the web-based, it's pretty tedious entering info. I think the dietpower is much faster, but it's also more than twice the price.

Neil

neil:
It's www.fitday.com. I checked it out. IMO, if the PC version is the same as the web-based, it's pretty tedious entering info. I think the dietpower is much faster, but it's also more than twice the price.

Neil

Sorry, Neil, I respectfully beg to differ. I've used both www.fitday.com and the PC version. The PC version is MUCH better w/ an easier interface and much better graphs/charts tracking your progress....WELL worth the $19.95 download w/ no tax/shipping. You can even download it at work and at home (or at a friend's house) with your same payment confirmation. :eyebrow:

I'm a Weight Watcher's Lifetime Member and an ex-subscriber to Weightwatchers.com, and this FitDay PC program takes food tracking to a WHOLE new level.

There's plenty of food items in the database so you don't have to tediously add anything. I've just added a few of the specific brands of specialized food that I eat (like my low-carb/high protein bread). It takes about 2 minutes to copy the info off the label, and then it's in my "custom foods" list forever. I've even combined ingredients into meals I eat several times a week. Tracking's a breeze now.

Jane,
Glad it works for you. I never bothered to download it, I was just trying the online version, so there's probably a difference in ease of use. Dietpower also lets you enter foods that aren't in the database. Seems like both programs do the same job with a different look.
Neil

Back
Top Bottom