Aperture vs Mac Lightroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just purchased a new macbookpro and I'm currently in the learning process switching from a PC to a Mac. I plan to use iPhoto, but not sure which photo editing software would be better for underwater photos - Aperture or Mac Lightroom. Thanks for any help.

Bill

I'm a big fan of Aperture - relatively easy to learn for beginners, but also has a nice set of more advanced features. FYI, if you do go that way, you really don't need to use iPhoto. Aperture has all the features of iPhoto plus the more advanced editing. Also, when you do get more advanced, it interacts very well with Photoshop.

You can't go wrong either way, I have used both and while on my mac I tend to prefer aperture overall there is some great function in light room. Frankly I wish the two played together better.

On advantage for Aperture though is it has great tools for getting high quality prints, book etc made directly from the app.

They have slightly different work flows, but frankly either is s solid choice. It is nice to be able to use light room on either platform, though less pain moving stuff around.

Both apps have demo's play them and see which work flow clicks for you.

"Mac Lightroom".. AKA Photoshop Lightroom - Guess what its built to work together with..

I use Aperture and love it. I added Topaz Filters and the adjustments you can make are fantastic. Topaz Detail and BW Effects are awesome. You can't go wrong. The filters will also work with iPhoto, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom. Download a 30 day trail, trust me you will love them. Oh and get Aperture 3.

Apple Aperture 3 is the current version; this link is to the Apple Aperture 3 FAQ.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 is the current version; this link is to the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom home page.

These products are not really editing software; they are photo management software with some editing functions.

I am using an older MacBook (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and for my editing I use an older Adobe Photoshop (CS3 Design Premium) that was thrown (free!) in when I upgraded RAM and HD to Pro specs; but when eBay prices are reasonable I will probably add an older Lightroom. Older Adobe Photoshop Elements are really my favorite editing software.

Atleast Lightroom is a post processing software more than anything else. Its designed to be where you make adjustments to your photos before you send it off to photoshop. Its the development part of the workflow.

The easiest thing to do is download the free versions of both and see which one works best for you. My take is that the raw converter in lr is a bit cleaner than aperture but mostly they can get you to the same place. I disagree with the concept that you work in LR then ship the pic off to PS-CS to finish. To me CS is all about illustrations that have photos in them, while PS-LR is all about photos. I don't ever use PS-CS for just working with pics anymore

Bill

While I haven't used Lightroom, I downloaded the 30 day free trial of Aperture about 3 months ago, and have NEVER looked back. Prior to, I was using the "usual suspects", i.e. PS, PSE, Adobe RAW converter, Bridge, etc., along with hundreds of dollars of "guide to" books for each version. I "learned" Aperture in a weekend. Has all the features I need, and is so easy and intuitive and like any Apple product, it just makes sense. I'm going back through all of my RAW archives and "re-processing" my favorites. FWIW, if you have your "ultimate underwater camera rig" and you want the ultimate dive travel photo processing rig, treat yourself to a Macbook Air & Aperture. It's great at the end of the day in your hotel room, on the boat or on the plane home. Just my 2 cents here. :D

Amigos,

If you're on a Mac you should give Aperture a try as Muzikbiz22 says.

That said every single photo I've ever posted has been edited in Apple's FREE iPhoto that comes with every Mac :) I've even discovered each newer version to be more powerful than before.

Here's a couple of photos I took in 2007 with a lowly Canon Rebel XTi. Plus all in JPEG :) I've made big prints of them too and they look fine.

If you get several decent exposures it's all you need to produce a great final photo.

YMMV

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 454
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back