aperture, what do you think ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got myself a brand new mac book pro, now would need a good software to edit my UW pictures, do you think Aperture is the right choice ? Or lightroom, photoshop or else would be as good or even better ? I am a complete noob in photo editing for the info, just used the simplest tools in Gimp.

Work with the included software, iPhoto, first. (I'm assuming it still comes in the software package ) It has a lot of features. Later, if you feel the need, Aperture could be added and it works with iPhoto. That is my suggestion.

I have a Mac, too. iPhoto is only just OK for snapshots and such. iPhoto doesn't allow sophisticated white balance. Get Aperture, you'll be much happier in the long run. I don't even have iPhoto on my Mac Book anymore. I find Aperture a significant step above iPhoto in terms of functionality.

Last edited:
Download Aperture, Lightroom and PS from Apple/Adobe and play with each for the 30 days you have free. I used to use Aperture but have moved to Lightroom and I think LR Is now a bit more advanced than Aperture.
Bill

I use Aperture plus Topaz Labs Filters. A great combo. Topaz filters can be used in iPhoto and Lightroom.

Forget iPhoto.
Both Aperture and Lightroom are significantly easier to get happy with.
They are both reasonably enough prized to defend the expense with going legit.

Have used Aperture for several years. Recently upgraded to lightroom. Both programs have pros and cons.
Aperture have a very good face recognition. Lightroom has a very neat workflow.

I made the transition from Aperture to Lightroom mainly because of the easier way of adjusting whitebalance and colors.

Download the trial versions, and make a choice. :wink:

I've got to admit. Lightroom, is quite good. I just downloaded the 30 day trial version and have been playing around with some RAW images that I took with my Canon S100 back in February. Lightroom certainly has some great features and the ability to alter white balance is, as mentioned by other posters, one very significant feature.

Lightroom.
Thats what you'll se the MAJORITY of pro use, and theirs a reason; it's awesome.

Apple continues to make moves that directly impact users who shoot photos and store them in iCloud. The company, which announced Feb. 6 that its new Photos app will replace 13-year-old iPhoto, also is phasing out Aperture, its professional-level photo-management software. Aperture users were notified March 5 that the application will soon be removed from the App Store. Alternatively, Apple asked Aperture users to try out Photos, which is available now in Apple's OS X 10.10.3 open beta. - See more at: Apple to Phase Out Aperture Photo App This Spring

Aperture users received an email from Apple that included the following instructions: Here is the link if you want to read more...
Apple to Phase Out Aperture Photo App This Spring

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom