Removal of a big piece of backscatter using Lightroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nameless Bear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone :) Newbie underwater photographer and Lightroom user here.

Have been editing pictures from my recent trip and used this method to clear a big piece of backscatter from this picture; in short, I used the Spot Removal tool (with feathering) on the piece, followed by the Adjustment Brush on the area to reduce exposure so that it blends in better. Here are the results:

Before

After

Two nudibranch feeding - Nembrotha kubaryana by Nameless Bear, on Flickr

See that big, white piece on the nudibranch to the right? Yea. While not immediately apparent, sharper observers will be able see the job done.

Now I know there must be better ways to do this; what would you do in a situation like this?

Use the clone stamp tool to rebuild the area from the surrounding details.

This video should help you.
You Suck at Photoshop - Clone Stamp and Manual Cloning - YouTube

The whole you suck at photoshop series is funny and informative. He is using an older version of photoshop but all of the tools still exist and are the basis for more advanced tools.

Yep, that ... Under high magnification, use the 'hard brush'(aligned, 100% opacity) in a size that allows you to sample and work the various colors present separately, gradually filling them in. Make sure to pick a sample spot far enough from the area to be corrected to move the brush in the desired direction without 'leaving' the sampled color. If necessary, re-sample to cover more distance.

Play around with this, and you'll see how it works ...

This video should help you.
You Suck at Photoshop - Clone Stamp and Manual Cloning - YouTube

The whole you suck at photoshop series is funny and informative. He is using an older version of photoshop but all of the tools still exist and are the basis for more advanced tools.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I'll be trying this out.

Sorry, but for ME its perfect. Looks absolutely great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom