Dir regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IvanM

Registered
Reaction score
OK, here is an easy one:
if money was no concern, which regulator do you think would be the perfect DIR choice???

Apeks DS4 first stages and ATX50 seconds.

The important question is what's the perfect reg choice for you, isn't it? While these are excellent regs and will make you happy, some other factors like servicing, availability, and composition of your team (if there is one) may steer you towards another reg, like Scubapro, Atomic, Zeagle, or something like that.

I second jonnythan on the DS4/AT50's. They are great working regs and a very simple design.

DJ

Apeks FST/TX100 (assuming money was no concern). DS4/TX50 or ATX50 is cheaper and apparently just as good.

If diving single tank in warm water I would go for a Scubapro MK25/G250 - great hose routing.

Of course, as jonnythan mentioned, servicing, availability, and composition of your team are important considerations.

Actually, I was planning to buy the DS4/ ATX 50 combo…..well, I think this decision has been made :)
Although, anyone know have the regs behave in cold water?
Thanks everyone…

IvanM:
Actually, I was planning to buy the DS4/ ATX 50 combo…..well, I think this decision has been made :)
Although, anyone know have the regs behave in cold water?
Thanks everyone…
Is 0C cold enough? Been flawless for me, and they're all the DIR guys in Ontario use.. they cut holes in the ice in winter..

There are groups of DIR divers out there using systems based on Scubapro's MK25, Atomics and Apeks ATX50 or higher. Any relatively high-performance, not-overly-complex, non-upstream-second stage, known name-brand regulator will do. There are pluses and minuses to each reg.
Here's why from what I've learned:
- High performance: low work of breathing and less dead air space both aim to decrease chances of CO2 rentention
- Not overly complex: unneeded swivels, adapters, or doo dads create failure points without adding benefits. Also easy to maintain.
- Known name brand: Parts are widely available and the company has a reputation and customer service.
- Avoid really light first stages (titanium - O2 compatability issues) and excessively heavy first stages (some people report trim problems with doubles and these regs)
- Downstream second stage: You can identify this an upstream reg if it free flows slightly as you start to presurize it on the tank. Upstream regs will fail to closed if something breaks in the first stage (high IP or high pressure seat) whereas a downstream reg will fail to free flow. You'll learn more as you go on why free flow is better than closed... short story, esp if on a single tank more gas through your reg is better than no gas, gives you extra time to get to your buddy, and with our protocols your buddy always has enough has for himself and you.

HOWEVER, the more important point is:
What do DIR divers in your diving area use?
One of the conveniences of DIR is that a lot of gear is interchangable from diver to diver. Great for last minute fixes if a piece of gear breaks. So if everyone in your area is on the Scubapro boat, that would be a good choice. In my area, a lot of us use Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom