Halcyon Scout, Photon Torpedo and Santa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I might need to help Santa a little bit with this, so here goes. Should I wish for a Scout or Photon Torpedo to improve my chances?

I have only seen the Scout IRL, and now that I looked at the pics, looks like the new version has gone a bit more Michelin Man than the one I saw, so I really haven’t even seen this one. I liked the old one, and am wondering if the new Scout is bulkier and how bulky then is the Torpedo? If I recall correctly that’s what it’s been accused of when compared to Scout.

And is the Torpedo only available from one source? Makes pricing kind of boring. Santa might be very much swayed by the price, so anyone know of current great deal on Scouts? Any other name-dropping re: acceptable backup lights I could do when Santa’s around to make things happen my way?

It's a little longer than the scout but well made. You will find numerous threads on the decostop forum about these lights. I think I paid $69 for mine. Have used it for 6 months with no problems or flooding but that is only to 140 ft. It has the double oring and 3 C batteries for power. Nice tight beam suitiable for signaling. I like the way it hangs on my harness and you can use it without un clipping from the harness for emergency.

Check the other threads on decostop. Lots of people have more experience with the light than myself.

I have 2 Mini-Scouts and they're great.

I have 2 photon torpedoes. They're great!! Mine have been to 170' with no problems.
However!! I've seen Derek's mini Scouts and they're an awesome light that takes up a lot less room!!

I compared a Scout to my Pelican Super SabreLite which has a zenon lamp module and takes three C-cells and is rated for 500 ft depth. In Canada, the Scout costs about double. The Pelican is noticably brighter and if your using it as a main light on some dives, it will be better. The Scout uses an underpowered bulb, halogen I think, on the basis that it is more reliable as a backup light. If your just using it as a backup light, you wouldn't have much burn time on the lamp, so the Pelican is probably quite sufficient. Keep in mind, you are supposed to have 2 backup lights with you.

For reliability, the newer LED lights that provide a more focused beam are probably better still. The bulb life is 10,000 to 50,000 hours and the burn time is 10 times greater than non-LED lights. I think it won't be too long before LED lights are going to take over the market completely. I'm just looking at my catalogue - you should check out the Pelican 2010 SabreLite Recoil LED - its the same size as my zenon SabreLite but the burn time listed in the catalogue is 50+ hours compared to the zenon burn time of 4-5 hours, and the lumen value is just about the same. TekTite also make some comparable LED lights which you can check out on their website. I have been using a Princeton Tek Attitude 4 AAA LED light to read my computer and guages - it just keeps going and going for months, and I also use it topside as well.

I have a scout, torpedo, and DR MINI light like Mini scout.

The torpedo is definately more durable shell and uses the same bulb like UK SL6.
DR MINI is a little bit thinner shell than "H" mini scout. But, does it matter?
How many times do you experience the crack of out-shell? I think the most common problem is a flood rather than the crack...

I got the Minis 'cause they're just so baaaaad lookin'. :D :14:

I had the Pelican super sabrelite with the ordinary bulb but swapped to the photon's after the protrusion on the light got picked at on tech-1. I looked at the Photon's and Scouts and couldn't see a huge difference so went for the photon's due to lots of positive feedback from existing owners.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom