Why the SPG on the left lower hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, one question, I can't seem to find a reasonable answere on the web, that address DIR hose configuration's, which I have the Single Tank Hose Kit:

Primary hose: 5'
Secondary hose: 22"
SPG hose: 24"

I know DIR recommend's the D ring on the left hip on the 2" webbing.

Either the D-ring has to be about 6" off center, about mid way from the crotch strap to the BP, because when i'm trimmed out, and frog kicking, it feels like I have to REALLY bend my neck down to see back to my lower left hip to read the SPG.

One question I have, I have been diving it on my upper chest D-Ring for years, comming under my left arm,and clipping it off. I love my set up I just bought, love the way everything trimmed out this past weekend, but hate the SPG on the lower left hip.

Talking with somone this past weekend that was diving the same configuration, they said the " proper " DIR way is to un-clip the SPG, bring it up, check your PSI, then re-clip.

I know If I drag the SPG back under my left arm to my chest D-ring, then I have a hose now running underneath, vs streamlined along the BP, which I can see the only reason for it being there, or I'm just clipping it off to far back.

Any comments would be appreciated.

onfloat:
That's where it is when you carry stages/deco bottles. If you get used to having it there, clipping bringing it up over your sholder and re-clipping then you don't have to re-learn when you start to carry the bottles. It's all about building blocks for latter.

Yes, but I carry my deco bottle under my right arm. Only if needing carrying two or more then i goto the left.

What am I missing here?

Been diving doubles for years, and diving with deco bottle's for years, and now since I'm going DIR, or at least most of it, I use a computer , shhhh, is that the only reason?

Since this is a DIR forum, all bottles are worn on the left side. This is why you build that muscle memory from the beginning, before you move to stage bottles.

Thanks for the clarifaction. I may take the DIR fundamentals class here shortley.

PP02 , I checked out your profile, and I saw you were taking there class in June of 06.

Any thoughts , how did you like the class etc?

DIR is more like a guide than the law.....I also dive doubles and clip my stage to the left. I run my SPG off my left reg,under my left arm and clip to my right chest D ring. When I want to see my pressure I merely have to look down, and it's right there at a glance. No clipping no fumbling no nothing...look and see...go on with dive.

Do what works for you...and don't get caught up in all the "if you want to dive DIR then do it this way" hype.

UP4AIR:
DIR is more like a guide than the law.....I also dive doubles and clip my stage to the left. I run my SPG off my left reg,under my left arm and clip to my right chest D ring. When I want to see my pressure I merely have to look down, and it's right there at a glance. No clipping no fumbling no nothing...look and see...go on with dive.

Do what works for you...and don't get caught up in all the "if you want to dive DIR then do it this way" hype.

With there 24" SPG hose, it tucks under my left arm, and comes right upto my left upper chest D-Ring where I'm used to diving it like that for years.

I agree with the stages, stages and deco are two different bottle's.

When staging, I clip off to my left side also, and deco on right.
When just carrying myt deco bottle's, I always carry them on the right.
I never have to worry about mixing regs that way either, as I'm used to that configuration for a few years now.

I like the Dir configuration, but just have a problem with the spg location.

I thought just by slidding the D-ring up, towards my crotch strap, it would be easyer to read, but still really a pain in the butt there.

I really like it right at my chest, I just look down, and it's there, can't miss it.

Thanks for your imput

UP4AIR:
DIR is more like a guide than the law....
Of course, but nothing about gear configuration is the "law"

UP4AIR:
..I also dive doubles and clip my stage to the left. I run my SPG off my left reg,under my left arm and clip to my right chest D ring. When I want to see my pressure I merely have to look down, and it's right there at a glance. No clipping no fumbling no nothing...look and see...go on with dive..

If it comes under your left arm and clips to your right D-ring, what do you do when you have to deploy the long hose?

UP4AIR:

Everyone can do what works for them, but this is the DIR forum. To the OP, it is simple and out of the way on the left hip. Later it can be difficult when you have mulitple stages on your left d-ring (dir), and only learning one way and having one way to practice the technique over and over is very DIR. Sometimes when you move one thing it starts a cascade of having to move other things and trying to find a place to put everthing. Of course you CAN clip your spg anywhere if it works for you, but if you are not looking for the DIR answer you might get a better response if you post it in the general tech forum.

UP4AIR:

This following was cut and pasted from the DIR Forum Rules Page. I like #6 the best. :) No offense Man I know you meant well but it's easy to forget.

Just a few guidelines...
1) No trolling! This is not the place for agency bashing! This is especially not a place for bashing DIR divers. Refer to What is Trolling for any questions about what constitutes a troll.
2) This forum is for a free exchange of ideas concerning DIR, but it is NOT intended to limit any mention of DIR to only this forum. There are many things pertaining to DIR that will be discussed in other forums as well.
3) All the rules of the board still apply here. You don't get to harrass or call people names. Civility should rule.
4) Most of all, have fun and learn something at the same time. Read our Mission statement and TOS for clarification.
5) This forum is NOT intended to replace or reduce the need for training with a qualified instructor. You might get more out of this forum if you have at least completed a DIR-f course.
6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum.

The SPG placement is a small part of a huge picture. With a enough practice you'll have it down pat in no time! Eventually you'll be very happy you stuck with it.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom