DIR and ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,
Quick question: what is the DIR position on ankle weights? If I need 28 pounds with my drysuit and my side pockets on my new Apeks WTX harness carry a total of 20 and my SS BP adds 6 lbs, where should the other 2lbs go? Haven't tried the WTX in the ocean yet (PNW) and I used to dive with a regular BC that let me put 2 x 2lb trim weights in the back. I am not a DIR diver but I am adopting many of the DIR standards because they just work better. I am currently pretty happy with the ankle weights but I am open to comments. Thanks in advance.

Bismark:
Hi,
Quick question: what is the DIR position on ankle weights? If I need 28 pounds with my drysuit and my side pockets on my new Apeks WTX harness carry a total of 20 and my SS BP adds 6 lbs, where should the other 2lbs go? Haven't tried the WTX in the ocean yet (PNW) and I used to dive with a regular BC that let me put 2 x 2lb trim weights in the back. I am not a DIR diver but I am adopting many of the DIR standards because they just work better. I am currently pretty happy with the ankle weights but I am open to comments. Thanks in advance.

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine ankle weights are DIR compliant.

Further - as someone will surely chime in - ankle weights are an equipment solution to a technique problem. I would ditch 'em. Surely you can shave two pounds off, then move the other weight and your tank around to adjust trim.

28lbs? That sounds like an aweful lot of weight.

I think the first question you need to address is whether or not you have gotten yourself weighted properly. The way to do this is to find out is to try and hold neutral at 10 ft with only 500psi of gas and no gas in either your wing or your drysuit. If anything more than a minimal amount of gas is needed to hold neutral, then you are overweighted.

Once you have established the correct amount of weight to carry, then you start playing with placement. Most of the time, the placement is determined by your trim (horizontal positioning) when you are floating neutral and motionless.

I dive with quite a few divers who dive backplates. I don't know of any who need anywhere close to 20lbs of extra lead on top of what their backplate already provides. (We dive in Monterey where people usually wear 300 gram DUI fleece undergarment as a minimum. Some wear the DUI 400 gram thinsulate. Even with that, I have not seen anyone wear 20lbs of weight.)

"Ankle weights are trim weights that are attached to a diver's ankles in an effort to offset air that is being trapped in boots and/or legs that are too large. This situation must be avoided by ensuring that the dry suit fits properly. The use of ankle weights is an excellent example of using an extra piece of equipment to compensate for the poor design or fit of another." -- Dan MacKay, Dress for Success

Of course most DIR divers use jetfins which are almost equivalent to wearing ankle weights in the sense that they are much heavier than regular modern fins.

Bismark:
Hi,

To get the official DIR position you have to go to George or JJ. SInce neither one of them are here you'll have to make do-

No ankles weights. And ditch the weight pockets.

*Floater*:
"Ankle weights are trim weights that are attached to a diver's ankles in an effort to offset air that is being trapped in boots and/or legs that are too large. This situation must be avoided by ensuring that the dry suit fits properly. The use of ankle weights is an excellent example of using an extra piece of equipment to compensate for the poor design or fit of another." -- Dan MacKay, Dress for Success

Of course most DIR divers use jetfins which are almost equivalent to wearing ankle weights in the sense that they are much heavier than regular modern fins.

Would gators be the same thing?

Otter:
Would gators be the same thing?

In the case of a neoprene suit the buoyant material would still be there.

In any suit a loose fit will predispose the legs to easy ballooning, that's what gators will contol.

Pete

Bismark:
Hi,
It has been my experience that people coming out of DIR-F will not only no longer need ankle weights ... but they will no longer want them either.

There are better solutions to the problem of floaty feet ... depending on your situation those could include any of (or combination of) gaitors, fin keepers, better fitting boots or suit, different fins, or simply changes in technique.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

After re-reading your post, it dawns on me that you might not have had a chance to do a weight check with your new rig.

I think what you will find is you will need less weight (in most occassions, significantly less) in a backplate as compared to a BC. Garden variety BCs are full of all kinds of material and padding that add excess bouyancy - that's before you even add air to the wing. Backplate and wing systems have a minimal amount of the excess padding and as such, require less lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom