Doubt about regulators for stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duartesss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

In the stages with high percentage of oxygen (for instance – 80% O2) you use specific regulators (the green ones with O2 clean) or the “normal” regulators can do the job?

By “normal” regulators I mean good regulators with the usually announce that support 40% O2 …

Thanks
Duarte S.

Posting in two sections is not allowed. Do you want a DIR answer or a Reg answer. O never mind this is Scubaboard all post are going to be DIR :(

duartesss:
Hello

In the stages with high percentage of oxygen (for instance – 80% O2) you use specific regulators (the green ones with O2 clean) or the “normal” regulators can do the job?

By “normal” regulators I mean good regulators with the usually announce that support 40% O2

First off, nothing in your question is DIR. DIR divers do not use 80% 02 in a stage/deco bottle, nor do they use 'green regs' to identify high percentages of oxygen content in bottles.
Just to answer the question though, you can use any reg pretty much, but make sure it is '02 clean' for use for high percentages of oxygen. Do a search on '02 clean' and I am pretty sure you will find yoru answer.

Good luck!

Captain CaveMan:
Posting in two sections is not allowed. Do you want a DIR answer or a Reg answer. O never mind this is Scubaboard all post are going to be DIR :(

Sorry for that.

I'm new here and I'm just learning about the ScubaBoard structure...

First I only saw the Regulators section and I posted there. Only after I saw the DIR section.

I want to be a DIR diver. This is why I put the question here.

Thanks
Duarte S.

toodles:
DIR divers do not use 80% 02 in a stage/deco bottle, nor do they use 'green regs' to identify high percentages of oxygen content in bottles.
Absolutely correct - DIR specifies 100% O2 for the shallowest stops. duartesss, you should do some research on the "oxygen window" if you are curious as to why.

toodles:
Just to answer the question though, you can use any reg pretty much, but make sure it is '02 clean' for use for high percentages of oxygen.
There have been some notable incidents involving titanium first stages, so I would stay away from those.

Regarding the concept of "O2 clean", that is a dive industry myth. There is virtually no way to make a reg O2 clean, at last not in any dive shop that I have ever been in (no "clean room", etc). There is some merit to rebuilding a reg with oxygen compatible parts and lubricants (Viton O-rings, Krytox, etc), but to claim that this somehow makes it "O2 clean" is misleading.

Most regs are OK to use with pure O2 right out of the box, but be aware that high O2 content accelerates the wear on the internal soft parts of the regulators. Greater care must be taken with any routine maintenance to insure that everything remains in good working order.

toodles:
First off, nothing in your question is DIR. DIR divers do not use 80% 02 in a stage/deco bottle
Good luck!

I think that I know some that use. They are DIR-F and Tech 1. But I will confirm that.

toodles:
First off, nothing in your question is DIR. DIR divers do not use 80% 02 in a stage/deco bottle, nor do they use 'green regs' to identify high percentages of oxygen content in bottles.
Good luck!

I know some technical divers that use that "green regs", but they are not DIR divers. Then, this is a DIR question or not?. I know that DIR not means technical diving, but when we use stages, generally ,is to do tech dives and there are different things from a DIR perspective and a no DIR perspective... .

For instance, i know technical divers that use one or two VR3 computers.... ;-)

Thanks
Duartesss

duartesss:
I think that I know some that use. They are DIR-F and Tech 1. But I will confirm that.

80% is absolutely not a DIR/GUE/WKPP mix. Anyone can do whatever they want after class, but that doesn't mean they are doing what they were taught.

The GUE standard deco mixes are:
100%
50%
35/25
21/35

The GUE standard bottom mixes are:
32%
30/30
21/35
18/45
15/55
10/70

Anything outside of those mixes is not DIR. There are lots of resources around that explain why standard mixes (and these standard mixes, specifically) are used.

I know some technical divers that use that "green regs", but they are not DIR divers. Then, this is a DIR question or not?. I know that DIR not means technical diving, but when we use stages, generally ,is to do tech dives and there are different things from a DIR perspective and a no DIR perspective... .

Color should never be used to identify a gas. First, color disappears with depth, secondly, people make mistakes and can put the wrong reg on the wrong bottle. The only way to indentify the gas you are switching to is by finding the MOD on the bottle itself and following it to the reg.

For instance, i know technical divers that use one or two VR3 computers.... ;-)

DIR divers do not use computers...just a bottom timer in gauge mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom