Report on my GUE-Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alan_lee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I signed up for the above and did the course which started with the travel from Singapore up to the Malaysian port of Mersing on Fri night and ended on Tuesday. Having researched the philosophy about GUE, I discovered that it was the kind of diving I want to do. But due to the cost, I was hesitant about it, but I decided to go through with it and give it a try.

The training was held at Salang, Tioman, and there were four of us in the class, and it was taught by Gideon Liew, who's also a member of the GUE Technical Council. After hearing about the 'interesting' stories from my fellow GUE diver on the local forum, I was feeling kinda nervous.

Training days are really long and intense, starting with breakfast at either 7am or 8am, proceeded by lectures, video analysis, dives, then more of the same again. My first dive was a shocker, cos I had a hard time staying stationary with the currents and all. It was amazing seeing Gideon and his assistant hold their position in the water without even much of the need to fin. The 4 of us students were kicking, sculling with the hands, moving around.. all just to stay at the spot where we were supposed to. We were taught propulsion methods, like the flutter, modified flutter, frogkick, modified frogkick, 360 turn and backward kick. Oh, and we also had to work on our trim and buoyancy control. Honestly, I thought that my trim was sucky, until I saw the video and was surprised that my trim was actually alright. The wonder of video analysis! The backward kicks were the hardest to learn, and we ended either moving upwards (feet first) or even forwards.

Other stuff that we had to do was the 5 drills: removal of reg, changing from primary to backup reg, hose donation (first part of OOA drill), mask clearance and removal and replacement of mask, all in the trim position and holding stationary. The whole point of the drills was to 'task load' us, meaning that we had to maintain trim and buoyancy while working on tasks, and do the tasks in a calm manner. This is especially important in overhead (or confined) situations. There was also swimming without mask (guided by your team mate), shooting up the surface marker, deco stops as a team, etc.

The theory sessions were long but was very interesting, such as working out how much residual air you need when you start your ascent, working out stops, duties within the team, etc. Oh, and we got certified for nitrox too.

The biggest thing for me was the use of video analysis. It was a great teaching tool cos diving requires muscle memory, and so you need to see how your performed in the water in order to know what kind of internal feedback you should get when you're doing the right thing. We could see what we were doing subconsciouly, and a lot of times, it was like "did I really do that?!".

The experience dive came on the last day at Pulau Chebeh. Man, the place was beautiful!!! Flora and fauna life was abundant! Viz was about 15m, and there were gorgantuan fans, schools of jacks and barras, blue spotted stingray, etc. We went down to about 25m and the current was a little strong. We started ascending to 12m and started our deco. Man, while I was marked well for my trim, buoyancy, etc, I was killed for how I did at the deco stops. My team mate shot up the marker and I didn't always stay on the same plane as him, and wasn't able to let him know that it was time to move to the next stop. I also overtimed the length of the stops, so I fared badly for that. But overall, I learnt what I should've done instead, so it didn't matter to me.

How much did the course? Not cheap at all, SGD1.6k not including meals and other gear you need or need to modify. Was it worth? For me, MOST DEFINITELY. In fact, I've learnt more during the 5 days than I ever did in my 5 years. For those who know me, I'm not a good diver and a very slow learner. But Gid was very patient, analytical and encouraging, and was always willing to share his vast experience with us. I'm most definitely FAR from being even a decent diver, but hopefully, this will serve as a good platform for me to dive my dream.

What's next? TRIOX and twin tanks, then tech. But first, lots of dives to work on my skills, and working towards being a better diver AND a great team mate.

I really gotta thank the my DIR friends in Singapore for "de-mystifying" GUE for me, and also friends here for their nudge to take the course, especially TSandM for her patience in answering my endless questions.

Well done and Congrats on your Achievement!

And what a wonderful geographic/oceanographic hub that Singapore is for SE Asia Reef & Wreck Diving: Have fun practicing your new found skills . . .!

Thanks guys, for your kinds words! I'm starting to assist my instructor friend with OW soon, so I'm hoping to introduce some of the concepts to the students. Gotta find a balance though, cos not everyone's interested in being a good diver. Far too often I see people disrespecting the environment, putting themselves and others in danger.

Man... am I starting to sound like George Irvine now? LOL! Diving's a great lifestyle, but it should be done safely.

Alan, congratulations on getting through the course, and given that I strongly encouraged you to do it, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

As I said to you privately, you won't realize the entire value of what you just did for months. But you'll see your diving getting steadily more confident, more skillful, and more FUN as you go along.

(I have to say, though, that I'm glad Fundies here doesn't cost 1.6K. I would never have been able to talk my husband into letting me take it!)

My actual class was $400, but after travel expenses (a trip to denver one weekend and then turning around and going to the dive site the next weekend) I ended up spending right around $1000 total.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom