GUE Fundies/Tech 1: Do Boat Operators Still Want AOW Card Too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've emailed the GUE site with this question but didn't receive a reply.
Anyone here know if boat operators generally want to see an AOW card from
some other agency too, or is either Fundies or Tech 1 accepted pretty universally now
in place of an AOW card from SSI, NAUI, Padi, etc. on boats such as the N.Carolina wreck trips?

A friend of mine is trying to decide whether to get an SSI advanced OW card prior to
doing Fundies and/or Tech 1. or even which agency to persue.

They don't have internet access so I told him I'd ask you all.

Thanks.

Best bet is to contact the operator to see if they will accept it. There should be no problem with a T1 card, as it explicitly states gasses and depths. I'm not sure what the new Fundies cards have on them.

Tech 1 cards seem to be generally accepted, fundies cards are nitrox cards as well now, and for those cards I guess it would depend on what the boat operator was looking for (AOW cards generally are required because people are going deeper than sixty feet, and fundies really isn't about that).

Thanks. I guess I'll email some operators for my bud and ask.
I know that in the recent past several told me that they required AOW but no mention of GUE/DIR certs. were mentioned and I didn't think to ask then.

It sounded like their liability/contract called specifically for AOW and seeing at GUE doesn't use that term (to my knowledge) I wondered if anyone who wasn't doing a DIR/GUE specific charter would have a problem with that.

I'll await more feedback then contact some operators and report back if anyone wants me to.

Thanks again. Hi Doug.

I would not count on DIRF for anything, nitrox maybe... Tech1 should be more than adequate considering the training depth is 150ft and states as much on the card.

Some of the shops here in VA don't accept GUE cards, regardless of the level. I have a problem with that and don't visit those shops anymore.

What is the minimum depth one must see before earining a GUE-F card? Could one earn a DIR-F card and never go below 25-30 feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom