Bolt snap attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used an online guide to figure out how to properly attach boltsnaps to my gear using cave line but... I did my first dive the other day using gear with tied on snaps rather than zip ties like I used to use and after the dive I noticed the cave line was comming untied on every single one.

Those knots were tight and I used cave line off a dive rite finger spool so it is pretty good line. please advise on how to prevent this in the future. Thanks

Did you "melt" the end of the lines? Make sure you melt them a little bit and use something to "smash" or "ballon" the ends out. This will help stop it from coming untied.

Follow these instructions:

How to Attach a Snap

Look at steps 7 and 8 mostly.

Use ZipTies???

might also help to wet the line first so it gets real tight and won't stretch when it again gets wet. The lighter will still melt the ends even if the line is wet.

I don't know, Northwoodsdiver. The first few cave line connections I made came untied, but none have since. I think I'm being a little more careful to be sure the knots are really tight, and to burn the ends of the caveline and tuck them back into the knot. Some people put a small dot of superglue on the knot, and tuck the ends of the line into the superglue.

The square not that finishes the cave knot must be right over left, then left over right (or visa-versa). Step 5 in the above link says:

5. Turn the whole assembly over, so you're looking at the other side. Tie an overhand knot, tight enough to encircle and snug up the lines running between the bolt snap and the object. Tie a second overhand knot (the reverse of the last one) to form a square knot. Pull it very tight.

If you do it the same both ways (for example, right over left and then right over left again) the knot can come apart.

I only know this all too well... :shakehead:

Tie the knot as mwhities posted. A properly tied square knot is VERY secure. Tie a square knot and then dot it with just a touch of "Gorilla Glue" and the rope/line will rot before the knot fails.

Did you "melt" the end of the lines? Make sure you melt them a little bit and use something to "smash" or "ballon" the ends out. This will help stop it from coming untied.

Follow these instructions:

How to Attach a Snap

Look at steps 7 and 8 mostly.

The melting is key -- get a good blob of molten line going and mash it down good.

The square knot is important too (but I suck at it) -- see Ricks post.

From time to time mine do come undone, so definitely check them periodically

Granny knot = loose/easily slips.
Square knot = secure.

Animated knots here. Note the difference in structure. Granny knots slip easily under stress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom