Naked SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I understand the DIR philosophy behind the naked SPG. I am also aware that one should be maintaining good buoyancy, trim and not banging equipment around etc.

In another thread I posted someone mentioned that a slight knock to the bezel can create a leak. I assume all DIR are diving with a naked SPG so my question is just how durable are the SPGs ( assuming quality)?

I am curious about the SPGs so figured this forum would get the most answers assuming you all dive naked, SPG that is....My diving is generally OW so the ratcheting aspect is prob not such an issue for me but I do like the idea of DIR no boot, hose protecters etc, makes sense...

Thanks

oh and apologies if this question is in the wrong place, I didnt know where else to post it, Im just looking for some information.

There should be no issues with cracking if you are using a good quality "brass and glass" SPG. Plastic SPGs might be a different concern, but those are not preferred for obvious reasons. Clipping to the left hip also keeps the SPG fairly well protected, so it is not as likely to get knocked about anyway.

I use agir SPG with no boot.... And all my diving is OW I have no issue. it's compact and i always clip it to my d-ring to avoid the spg hitting or banging in the boat during assembly.

And if u choose the right hose length it will never go underneath ur gear.
So it's okay its durable

Anything can be broken.....a big enough impact on a brass and glass gauge might break it. However, the cases of these gauges are VERY robust and I would not expect the normal blows from impact while diving, packing for a dive, or other related activites would casue any damage that would result in leaking. We have sold HUNDREDS of brass and glass pressure gauges, and I know of very few that have experienced any problem during use.

Phil Ellis

Anything can be broken.....a big enough impact on a brass and glass gauge might break it. However, the cases of these gauges are VERY robust and I would not expect the normal blows from impact while diving, packing for a dive, or other related activites would casue any damage that would result in leaking. We have sold HUNDREDS of brass and glass pressure gauges, and I know of very few that have experienced any problem during use.

Phil Ellis

Phil,

I received my 2" SPG yesterday and my SP MK25/G250HP came in as well. My stage bottle is complete! (Sorry OP. :p)

EDIT: OK, I lied, I need a 40" hose. :| (Forgot about that.)

There should be no issues with cracking if you are using a good quality "brass and glass" SPG. Plastic SPGs might be a different concern, but those are not preferred for obvious reasons. Clipping to the left hip also keeps the SPG fairly well protected, so it is not as likely to get knocked about anyway.

Also, during the pre-dive checks I always make sure the SPG is rotated toward me so that it's in the right position to view underwater without having to rotate it. This puts the glass face toward the body so if it does get bumped it's the back of the SPG that takes the blow.

The advantage about having a small naked spg over a bulky plastic ow gauge w/computer or deth gauge is high, with a small hose it will keep so close to your body that it wont get damage and most important it won't damage the enviroment.

I haven't see anyone who leaks by the spg but i do have see spg that don't run anymore cause banged, old or something else, but on DIR your spg is the backup, the real pressure tracking always remain on your head.

I've had one SPG leak -- It leaked water into the face. It remained usable until the water became opaque from algae. (This happened on a vacation, in a place where it wasn't at ALL easy to find another stand-alone SPG to buy.) I have no idea how many dives were on it, because I bought it used, but I had probably put a couple hundred on it myself by the time it failed, and I suspect, given who I bought it from, it had many, many more.

I think it might have been my post you are referring to. "slight knock" and "small ding" shouldn't be confused. I saw how considerable the abuse was to cause the small ding to all three of my gauges.

Instance 1- I was moving my fully assembled twinset and tripped. Falling forward, the tanks hit the deck first, I never land on them but did use them as support. While the glass was unbroken, the brass was mangled badly enough that replacement was warranted before diving.

2-I was standing aside while another diver geared up on the bench next to my assembled rig. As he stood up the boat lurched and he sat back down heavily. The bottom of his tank dented the bezel (which was caught between tank and bench) on the glass side. The dent was incredibly small and figuring that the seal was between glass and brass, I continued to use the gauge for several dives over a couple weeks. Soon condensate appeared on the inside of the lense and shortly thereafter it became obvious that the gauge was not reading accurately.

3- Similar to above, but, it was me that sat back down as the boat rolled, squashing the gauge between myself, my rig and deco tanks. The rest follows like above, more or less.

Put some of those basic, robust, blue gauge covers on(like you see on fill whips, no backs, just good draining rubber rings) two seasons ago. And, haven't damaged a gauge since.

I think this is a classic example of diving dogma. For example in a cave diving situation, which is were DIR comes from, the naked SPG is used for streamlineing etc, and its simple and easy to see if its damaged. If on the other hand one is diving on a crowded pitching boat, some sort of compact shock protection might be a good idea. Note the response that it is on the left hip and thus safe and out of the way fails to account for the bigger picture--if its broken when you get in the water...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom