DIR primary hose length for open water, no overhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark00020

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying some new gear, and I'm not a tech-diver but the standardization and extra safety of DIR has appeal to me. I know you have long primary hoses so you can buddy breathe in a cave or overhead environment, but if you aren't in these areas where a long hose is necessary, what would be a good primary hose length? I was thinking a 1m hose similar to the rec diving octo hose length, with a short hose second on a necklace.
Let me know what you think.

As this is a DIR section the only answer would be a long hose (2m give or take) and route under a pocket, you light or under your belt.

From GUE:
Long Hose: Optional in shallow, open water diving, but mandatory in deeper or overhead diving; the long hose simplifies air sharing.

So basically I was thinking if its optional in shallow, open water (which is what I dive, I'm mostly going for lobsters above 15msw) what should I use.
GUE Equipment Config

I use a 5ft primary with necklace. Under right arm pit around the left ear, behind neck, around right ear, reg to mouth. My necklace hangs approx. mid breastbone, not tight to throat not really loose. I use a 7ft in overhead.

I would just go with the 7ft hose. It may not be completely necessary in open water but it sure makes traveling underwater while sharing air easy. On top of that, if you ever do decide to get into cave/wreck/deco diving, it is one less thing you have to worry about.

From GUE:
Long Hose: Optional in shallow, open water diving, but mandatory in deeper or overhead diving; the long hose simplifies air sharing.

So basically I was thinking if its optional in shallow, open water (which is what I dive, I'm mostly going for lobsters above 15msw) what should I use.
GUE Equipment Config

Just use a 7' hose. There are a lot of historical things out there on the internet which will just confuse.

Basically a 7' hose works well. It works in all situations. You don't have to mess around changing it, and once you've been shown how to use it it is easy. A 5' hose is a pain, it's too short for a lot of people, and it gets in the way of backup lights and things clipped to the right shoulder d-ring. A shorter hose is even worse as you lose the ability to move around with your OOA buddy, and gain a great big loop of hose which will snag on stuff. If you then route the hose under the arm you need to add a swivel to the reg, which is just another nonsense idea.

HTH

John

Just use a 7' hose. There are a lot of historical things out there on the internet which will just confuse.

(Basically a 7' hose works well. It works in all situations.)

Yes it will.

You don't have to mess around changing it, and once you've been shown how to use it it is easy.

Yes it is.

A 5' hose is a pain, it's too short for a lot of people, and it gets in the way of backup lights and things clipped to the right shoulder d-ring.

I disagree. I have never had an issue with any clipped item, everything is quite accessable, my bottles are fine if slung. No issue with primary light either. When I practice OOA there is lots of maneouvre room and can go horizontal easily.

A shorter hose is even worse as you lose the ability to move around with your OOA buddy, and gain a great big loop of hose which will snag on stuff. If you then route the hose under the arm you need to add a swivel to the reg, which is just another nonsense idea.

I agree if you are talking about a 3ft primary.

HTH

John

I do understand the issue with switching 5ft to 7 ft and back but this is not a big deal for me. I dive more open than overhead anyway. This works for me fine. If I was to dive with a strict dir or gue guy the set up I have is no different but for the fact they would be 2ft closer. Really not a big deal at least not for me.

Well, this is the DIR forum, and you have an answer from a GUE instructor. Although, in the past, various hose lengths have been acceptable, the 7' hose has been settled upon as working in all settings.

I dove a 5' hose in open water for years; I had none of the issues with it that other folks have described. Once I got some overhead training, I switched to the required 7' hose and never went back.

DIR or not... "Mandatory" or not... A 5' hose (or more) makes air sharing much easier in any environment.

But that said, you'll be doing yourself a favor if you get some training or mentoring with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom