DIR & reef hooks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all!

I was just wondering what is DIR's stand on reef hooks?

I was told that a reef hook does a lot less damage to the reef than a diver's hand/finger so I was thinking of making one for myself out of a stainless steel S-hook and some climbing rope.

But I'd like to know what the DIR stand is for these things... if there's a better way...etc..etc..

Thanks! :)

Are you diving in an area that has a lot of current? Is it drift diving?

Yes, I dive a lot of places with strong currents... most are drift dives.

Although I've never needed a reef hook before, I have held on to a rock a few times when the currents were just too strong to hover in, or when a sudden down current struck ... I saw one of my friends use one and it seemed like a good idea.

I don't intend to use it often... it's just like my knife... more like a safety blanket. "Just in case" kind of thing. But even then, I'd like to know the DIR stand on them.

:)

For what it's worth, a year or two ago I remember GI commenting on some picture of a diver on a reef hook, and his comment boiled down to someting like "Drift or don't dive there."

His reasoning was along the lines of "less damaging is still damaging" and he was against it for that reason.

So I guess the short answer is that there's no DIR way to use a reef hook. Which of course leaves the personal question unanswerd, which is "Is that important to you?"

Roak

I suggest you read a somewhat recent thread on this board about how dangerous reef hooking can be.

"Lessons to be learned - Death in Palau"

jplacson once bubbled...
Yes, I dive a lot of places with strong currents... most are drift dives.

Although I've never needed a reef hook before, I have held on to a rock a few times when the currents were just too strong to hover in, or when a sudden down current struck ... I saw one of my friends use one and it seemed like a good idea.

I don't intend to use it often... it's just like my knife... more like a safety blanket. "Just in case" kind of thing. But even then, I'd like to know the DIR stand on them.

:)

roakey once bubbled...
For what it's worth, a year or two ago I remember GI commenting on some picture of a diver on a reef hook, and his comment boiled down to someting like "Drift or don't dive there."

His reasoning was along the lines of "less damaging is still damaging" and he was against it for that reason.
Roak

about wreck penetration and disturbance of invertebrate life, even when done according to DIR principles/practices. I suppose this would mean that those adhering to DIR diving practices avoid any wrecks with significant life growing in them.

jplacson once bubbled...
yes it is important to me! thanks for the info & input! :)

I guess I won't be making a reef hook then! :)

Ok. I have to ask at this point...why?

You've already expressed the need to occationally stop drifting. And you've already decided that using a reef hook is a more environemtally friendly way to do so.

Basicly, you've decided that you need a reef hook. Why is GI's opinion on the matter the deciding point for you.

Personally, I think there are a lot of good things about the DIR system. But I will never be 100% DIR. There are just some concepts I don't agree with. Doing it Right, IMHO is doing what is best for you and your diving.

No disrepect to the 100% DIR folks, but if you just follow the company line and ignore your personal needs, you are just as much sheep as those who follow any other agency without question.

James

Let me clarify the point I was making by asking the question…

I’m a volunteer at an Aquarium up in Denver. One of my jobs is carrying a bunch of heads of lettuce down to the bottom and securing it. I’ve chuckled to myself more than once about the concept of asking on DIR/Quest “What’s the DIR way to carry lettuce?”

Point is, I know there isn’t any DIR way to carry lettuce and I don’t care that there isn’t. :)

Roak

Personally, I think there are a lot of good things about the DIR system. But I will never be 100% DIR. There are just some concepts I don't agree with.

[/B]

I dont remember anyone asking this question of you. Why does every thread on this board have a similar comment out of the blue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom