Intro to gear config? GUE Primer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I currently dive with a conventional back-inflate system and want to explore the possibility of adopting a DIR or at least Hogarthian configuration for at least some of my diving. What I have read of the benefits makes a lot of sense to me, such as the donate-the-primary approach to the OOA diver situation. I primarily do tropical vacation diving but on occasion have ventured to North Carolina wrecks and hope to do more of the latter (and maybe tropical wrecks--say, Truk??), perhaps even learning doubles and deco in the next few years. A popular route seems to be start with the GUE Fundies course, but I have some questions.

Does Fundies assume the diver already has at least a little experience with the gear? How about Primer? I suspect Primer would be exactly what I'm looking for at this initial stage, but judging from the scheduling on the GUE web site it appears that Primer is not frequently offered--I suspect most people start with Fundies.

I am reluctant to buy the gear before I have ever even tried on a BP/W. I'm sure it's possible to rent them, but is it easy to do so, and will a dive shop offer some sort of introductory dive where they show me the ropes? Or would I do better renting the gear for a couple of days and taking Primer (a 2-day course from what I understand)?

I would definitely like to take Fundies at some point, as my thinking is that even if I don't dive often (or at all) in the DIR configuration, the skills will be helpful to me diving in my conventional back-inflate rig. But Fundies sounds like a lot all at once--a real commitment in gear, time (5 days?), and open mindedness.

What's the best way to put my toe in the water?

Primer seems like the right path for you: it's a toe-dip and comes without the pressure of pass-provisional-fail (although so does Fundies if you just treat it like a course not an exam, as one should!). However, you do not need Primer before Fundies. The best approach is to find a local mentor, someone who is GUE-trained who has kept up with their skills and isn't high-and-mighty about it, and just dive with them.

Neither Primer nor Fundies is frequently offered on the website. Almost all course offerings are in response to demand--find your local instructor if one exists, and write them. They're generally friendly folk.

From Atlanta, it might make sense to plan a trip down to the Mecca that is Florida to take the classes.

Fwiw, the scheduled courses on the GUE website don't tell the whole story. Email a local instructor and see if they have anything lined up. Sometimes, they'll have interested students, but no solid dates. You might be the needed student for the class to take off.

PM katepnatl -- she lives in Atlanta and is GUE Cave 2. I'm sure she'd be happy to meet up with you and go over the gear, and if you guys can find a pool to use, help you play with it.

Otherwise, the folks above have told the story . . . Many GUE classes are scheduled on demand. Talk to Kate; I'm sure she'll connect you with Doug Mudry in Florida. She drives down there regularly and perhaps you guys can carpool one weekend.

PM katepnatl -- she lives in Atlanta and is GUE Cave 2. I'm sure she'd be happy to meet up with you and go over the gear, and if you guys can find a pool to use, help you play with it.

Talk to Kate; I'm sure she'll connect you with Doug Mudry in Florida. She drives down there regularly and perhaps you guys can carpool one weekend.

+1 for Kate

Or just shoot Doug Mudry an email. He's a great guy and I'm certain he will help you decide the best training path: doug@gue.com

Great advice here so far.
+1 For Primer as a good toe dip and introduction to BPWing/Long Hose gear.
+1 For Kate. She's good people.
+1 For call and instructor and express your interest and availability and a class may come together.

Congrats on taking the first step and reaching out. It's a great community and much fun diving to be had!

PM katepnatl -- she lives in Atlanta and is GUE Cave 2. I'm sure she'd be happy to meet up with you and go over the gear, and if you guys can find a pool to use, help you play with it.Otherwise, the folks above have told the story . . . Many GUE classes are scheduled on demand. Talk to Kate; I'm sure she'll connect you with Doug Mudry in Florida. She drives down there regularly and perhaps you guys can carpool one weekend.
Feel free to PM me... As Lynne said, I'd be happy to meet with you and talk about/go over gear and if you are interested, my experiences with primer and fundies. Here, as in other parts of the country, there are usually enough people around with extra gear that you can borrow what you need for a primer or even fundies class, without having to make a big financial commitment in kit ahead of time. In fact, if you don't have gear, I would recommend AGAINST going out and buying a lot until you have tried some different things. I personally changed out quite a lot of mine from before fundies.---------- Post added December 2nd, 2012 at 10:16 AM ----------
A couple of related threads that may be of interest:

My drysuit class report… the primer is very close to the drysuit class, just with less focus on the specifics related to managing a drysuit.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...ver-class-report-doug-mudry-march-2011-a.html

A fundamentals class report… I've quoted part of one of my posts, below, as it speaks to the specific question of primer vs. fundies.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...divers-view-gue-fundamentals.html#post6353481

katepnatl:
Recently I've participated in (video'ed) a Primer class that included two very experienced divers who were both planning on moving forward to take Fundies. These two divers were both full cave and each had some mix training, as well as varying levels of exposure to DIR diving. Some people questioned at least one of the student's reasoning behind taking Primer. I didn't. Taking Primer stacked the deck in these divers' favor. The more they worked through prior to Fundies, the more they would learn IN Fundies. At some point during Fundamentals, even the most experienced divers can reach a saturation point. If some of the learning occurs prior to the Fundies class, then the student can go absorb that much more in the Fundamentals class - whether it is fine-tuning skills or learning brand new ones.

So, I heartily recommend Primer, unless someone has been actively mentored by individuals who definitely know what they are doing, or by the GUE community such as they have in the Pacific NW. The two I was referencing above did not NEED Primer by any means, but they both agreed they were glad they took it. For new divers, or "new to GUE" divers, the exposure to the propulsion techniques and buoyancy/trim concepts taught in Primer, allows for refinement of those skills in Fundies as well as bandwidth for new skill acquisition. Of course I would not go so far as to say it people can't have a great experience going straight to Fundies - look to this class report as an example! But I do think as a general rule, if it's possible from a time and money perspective, Primer should be considered, if at all possible. ... I do think a lot of people (more than is understood) take classes like Primer, Essentials, and Fundies to become better recreational divers. I know that was my motivation*.

*Please ignore the fact that there may be a slight delta between what initially motivated me and the path I ended up taking. :D

Last edited:
If your up in NC I'd be happy to do the same. And let you try a full set of gear as well. Plus we are doing a fundies up here next year but high springs is probably a better bet due to your location.
+1 for Doug too, great instructor

PM sent to Kate. Thanks to all for the replies. I didn't mention it, but I had made contact a couple of years ago with an instructor who was offering Fundies at, I believe, Ginnie Springs. I got cold feet and didn't follow through.

Another +1 for Doug in High Springs for Primer... Did both the Primer and Fundies with him. (+1 for Kate, too.) :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom