Looking for a durable, competent and affordable can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My budget is limited so I'm looking for something that's value for money. I am planning to buy one to practice with, but eventually want to dive caves with it.

What are the trusted brands for lights?

What kind of burn times, angles, features should I be looking out for?

Thanks!

Budget and caves don't really go hand in hand, especially not for a can light. If I were you, I'd look around the used locations for a canister light. I've seen a couple for sale on here and "other forums" that would do really well for you. On a more cave-oriented forum, there's a guy selling a Dive Rite Wreck canister with an Underwater Light Dude LED upgrade. I don't know if it can get much better than that, especially for the price. There have been some Light Monkey lights for sale that were at a pretty good price. I don't know if I'd trust it in a cave, but there are canister lights being sold new as a homemade solution on Scubaboard by a guy called "andrewy" that you might want to look into (good reviews, I have no experience with them).

My first on was a halcyon 10w hid , I bought used for $250.. I would keep an eye on the for sale stuff and craigslist even (buddy got a complete double set "H" for cheap there as well.

Light monkey have really good lights at reasonable prices, very popular in Mexico caves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The brands that have great reputations for sturdiness and superb customer service are not cheap.

We have a fellow here locally who makes canister lights: http://underthesound.smugmug.com/Underwater/Zlights-canister-dive/. They are not built for technical depths, but a lot of local divers have them and like them, and I have heard nothing bad about their reliability.

For caves, I want the most reliable and difficult-to-damage light I can own. Don't go cheap on anything you intend to take into a cave.

User j2s sent me this, reposting it with his permission:

Couldn't post on open thread for some reason....For Tech. Spec's, go to each site...Halcyon, Hollis, Light Monkey, Dive Rite...Divegearexpress ( which has articles on their and other brands ) and Leisurepro, carry several of those brands at better prices......For used, go to Cave Diver's Forum....Divers are always up-grading and selling off their old lights....There's still a controversy about HID-vs-LED lights....But most divers are using LED...More reliable, longer lasting.......Pay close attention to things like, 'Burn time', Lumens, rechargable, Lithium Ion-vs-NiCad....There's a lot to learn and think about when deciding......There are many posts/threads on SB and Cave Diver's Forum about canister lights and just as many pro's & cons......But once you know what your diving needs will be, you'll be able to narrow down a choice.......Also keep in mind that LED technology has come a long way and there are many 'Hand held' lights for a lot less w/long burn times and excellent lumens..........

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 08:58 AM ----------

The brands that have great reputations for sturdiness and superb customer service are not cheap.

We have a fellow here locally who makes canister lights: http://underthesound.smugmug.com/Underwater/Zlights-canister-dive/. They are not built for technical depths, but a lot of local divers have them and like them, and I have heard nothing bad about their reliability.

For caves, I want the most reliable and difficult-to-damage light I can own. Don't go cheap on anything you intend to take into a cave.

Advice taken.

What lights do you use when you go caving?

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 08:59 AM ----------

Budget and caves don't really go hand in hand, especially not for a can light. If I were you, I'd look around the used locations for a canister light. I've seen a couple for sale on here and "other forums" that would do really well for you. On a more cave-oriented forum, there's a guy selling a Dive Rite Wreck canister with an Underwater Light Dude LED upgrade. I don't know if it can get much better than that, especially for the price. There have been some Light Monkey lights for sale that were at a pretty good price. I don't know if I'd trust it in a cave, but there are canister lights being sold new as a homemade solution on Scubaboard by a guy called "andrewy" that you might want to look into (good reviews, I have no experience with them).

Thanks. What lights do you use personally?

You can score a Halcyon 21w light if you have patience and keep an eye on the eBay and classifieds of forums.

I've yet to see an LED that performs as well as a proper 21w HID. I saw some dude on an LED last weekend and I thought he was on a backup light.

I am a Light Monkey customer for life - their customer service is so over the top that I can't even describe it. I have rarely had trouble with my lights, but when I have, those guys have literally bent over backwards to expedite service and make sure my light was back in my hands when I needed it. We have four LM 21W HID lights in our household. Two were bought new, and two were bought off the Deco Stop.

What lights do you use personally?

Before I took Cavern/Intro, I had no interest in caves at all. They were just wet rocks, and that's stupid. I took the class to help my trim, buoyancy, and sidemount skill (I took it through Edd's shop). So, I bought the cheapest can light I could find that was of good quality. It was a Dive Rite 10W HID that had really unhealthy batteries, and I got it off of eBay for like $150. Great quality light, but replacing the batteries was going to cost a fortune (like >$200)....but I had some batteries from another hobby that I rigged up to work. It works surprisingly well for what it is.

I've dove with lights by Light Monkey, Salvo, Halcyon, Dive Rite, and UnderWater Light Dude. I now own an UnderWater Light Dude light.....and if you try to take it from me it'll end VERY poorly for you :D. I'll put it against any 21W HID any day of the week. It seems like the only company that can claim to compete with Light Monkey's level of service is UWLD. Fans of UWLD say Bobby treats them better, LM fans say the opposite. I think UWLD lights are unparalleled in efficiency, output, technology, and reliability. A good friend bought a LM 9W LED canister. He likes it. He also owns two UWLD canister lights now :D

As for the options you were given by PM:

Nickel vs Lithium (NiMH/NiCd vs LiPo/LiFe/LiIon) - This is battery chemistry. This one is simple. Lithium packs are MUCH better. They're lighter, smaller, pack a better punch, and they have a discharge curve. However, they're more expensive and can be more dangerous if mistreated.

HID vs LED - This one is REALLY the tough one. HID is often focusable and is hailed for the tightest of beams.....beam tightness is great for cutting through muck and signalling. However, LED is much more efficient (lumens per watt) and much more robust. HID bulbs have the bulb and ballast to replace, which are often expensive. Also, many designs are fairly fragile. With HID, you also have to be fairly conservative about how you use it.....the bulbs go out after a certain number of "strikes" (times you turn them on), but that number can be reduced drastically by mistreating. If you let them overheat or if you turn them on and then back off before the bulb is allowed to get to temperature, you can blow the bulb or shorten its life. LED is practically bulletproof. Some people trade off that ruggedness for beam tightness and compensate by being more gentle/careful with the light head. Also, LED light heads are typically smaller than HID light heads.....and some HID light heads are huge. That doesn't bother some, it does bother others. All stuff to consider in the HID vs LED argument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom