Best way to handle double tank bolts that are too long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy and I both had this problem. The bolts on the double tanks were protruding too much and poking our backs. We could put 2 locknuts on the back of the cylinders to "shorten" the bolt or put the locknuts just behind the backplate so the backplate does not slide in further.

However what is the best method to handle this problem? The tanks were rented.

Thanks.

If the tanks were rented, I'd put the nuts between the tanks and the plates, so as not to have to disassemble them. If they were mine, I'd just cut the bolts shorter with a Dremel tool.

Hacksaw :)

If you put double the screws should continue to be screws must not touch the ground. From ground short them for 5 mm

(if less then is hard to catch upper hole through eye on harness )

best way is to take screw out , cut them , grind sharp edges and then cook them in solution of citric acid (if not then there would rust ) or put it

in cold solution of phosphoric acid to prevent rust (buy in local metal store -don't know your trade name )

Removing Rust with Citric Acid

RUST PRIMER (rust primer )

-----------------------------------------------------------------
science behind Article: Passivation of stainless steels more simple: look under ''ASTM A967 citric acid passivation treatments'' table

If you don't want to saw, just go buy 2 marine grade SS bolt of the right size from Grainger or even homedepot if you are lucky, they are very cheap

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom