gue accepting certs from another organisation, experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There is a rule that you can ask GUE for scaling your cert into a GUE cert. I don't know the details, I only know that there must be a possibility. You must proof that you are good enough for example on fundamentals tech rating or tech1. Has anybody experiences with this?

I mean with this:
1.9 Recognition of CredentialsAccomplished divers from other agencies who wish to be qualified as GUE divers may petition GUE HQ to
have their training and experience recognized, and a suitable level of GUE qualification issued. Upon
receipt of such a request, GUE HQ will arrange for an in-water evaluation of the petitioning diver by a
GUE instructor trainer. If, upon evaluation, the GUE IT considers that the petitioning diver’s request should
be honored, s/he should recommend to GUE HQ, in writing, that it issues an appropriate level of GUE
qualification. Upon receipt of this recommendation, GUE HQ will consider awarding the petitioning diver a
suitable level of GUE qualification.

Do what it says. Contact GUE HQ. Let them know your qualifications and that you would like to attempt to do a GUE crossover to whichever level you want. They will then most likely put you in contact with one of the IT/IE instructors in Europe at that level. Then I'm guessing, you get in the water with that instructor and demonstrate that you are at the equivalent level. I'm guessing that includes being up on GUE standards and procedures regarding everything from pre-dive sequences to in water standards. I'm sure there will be a GUE instructor along in a bit to clarify everything.
Not sure what the fee for the instructor's time will be however

From everything I've seen and heard, this route is equally as much work if not more, plus you still have to pay for the evaluation time (from a more SR GUE instructor who typically charges a pretty penny). So you end up spending a good portion of what a class costs, and risk walking away with no certification if you don't know something which is GUE specific.

it can be done. I did it to pass tech 1.
i would say that it's exceedingly rare and it's at the discretion of the instructor evaluator (i'd had the opportunity to dive with mine on one of our projects before)
it didn't cost me anything extra. he was pretty cool about it. other instructors said they would charge their daily rate to evaluate me and i probably wouldn't pass. YMMV on this one and i wouldn't expect it to be easy

it can be done. I did it to pass tech 1.
i would say that it's exceedingly rare and it's at the discretion of the instructor evaluator (i'd had the opportunity to dive with mine on one of our projects before)
it didn't cost me anything extra. he was pretty cool about it. other instructors said they would charge their daily rate to evaluate me and i probably wouldn't pass. YMMV on this one and i wouldn't expect it to be easy

It seems to be used when the individual is already diving with the "group" anyway as liteheaded points out. If you are not diving every weekend with a GUE posse then I would say just take the class.

I won't take a gue course because I don't see any need, the courses are too expensive for me, what I learn will be too less for the money. I know I can do fundies and pass with techrating. Same with cave1 and tech1. And with tech2 and cave2 too, I only have a better way for the stagerotation, I know a gue diver that does it now my way, haha.
But nobody has done the way that is possible with gue?

I won't take a gue course because I don't see any need, the courses are too expensive for me, what I learn will be too less for the money. I know I can do fundies and pass with techrating. Same with cave1 and tech1. And with tech2 and cave2 too, I only have a better way for the stagerotation, I know a gue diver that does it now my way, haha.

OK, then, I have to ask.

If you don't need to course because you are already happy with your skill levels and don't see any reason to spend a lot of money on a course you don't need, why are you interested in crossing over?

There are a lot of people who were in your position (with thousands of hours of experience, not just hundreds) who thought the same, and had a different experience than they expected when they took fundies.

Last edited:
If you are already at C2 and T2 level (in your opinion) what is it that you want from GUE?

I emailed Kady at GUE and she said speak to the IT/IE that you wish to take the course with. So I did. It's that simple. They can say yes or no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom