backzip drysuits in GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are these a "no-no"? If so, other then not being self donning, why? I think self donning shouldn't be a requirement, since you are always diving in a buddy team and can ask your buddy to zip/unzip you. I'm not partial to back or front zip(and have in fact always dove front zip) but am curious to hear the reasoning.

Its so you can put it on by yourself.

A GUE diver has buddies to help, but you shouldn't need help to put a suit on. Or your harness. Or anything else, really. You're self sufficient first and foremost.

Also backzips get wear from the harness/ tanks. There's longevity issues. A far removed (and perhaps academic) argument for a front zip is ease of CPR, but I'm going to slice you out of a suit anyway if I need to do CPR. Its a 'meh' reason in my book.

For fundamental, it is not a requirement. I did mine in back zip suit myself. In fact, I don't think dry-suit is a requirement for rec pass. I know someone did it in wetsuit.

Eelnoraa: correct, drysuit is not required for a Rec pass.

I got a tech pass using a back zip, I don't recall it being an issue. BTW, I and several others I know are able to zip and unzip rear zippered drysuits on our own.

Sent via

Its not required to have a front zip suit. Its just better.

I used a back zip and it was no issue during Fundies.

It's been more of an issue since though. During Winter I'll add a fleece and thermals to my 4th Element and then Valve shutdowns become... interesting. If I forget to stretch out on the surface I have literally got no chance of doing a smooth drill and plenty of "dog-humping" moves will occur. During summer it's not an issue though.

I'd prefer a front zip, but to be honest I'd rather spend the cash on diving at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom