Mask selection for DIR/GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be taking training this year, and need to replace my mask. I know low volume is advised however do I need one that is a "black only" skirt to meet the equipment requirements? I prefer a clear skirt to let in more ambient light.
Thankyou!

Skirt color doesn't matter. Personal preference.

Thankyou for clarifying that! I read where the black skirt is preferred...but honestly I've done so much reading in the past 4 weeks I couldn't say where I picked that up from. I just don't want to purchase anything outside of the standard required gear config...

A lot of people like black skirts for diving in low light environments, because they reduce spurious light signals. I like black; my husband likes clear, and clear skirts definitely make for better photographs :)

I actually have more issues with clear skirts in bright light diving than I do in low light. When the sun is shining in from behind you the clear skirts can have a wicked glare on the back side of the lens, so you can see your cheeks and the mask skirt but not a whole lot else.
Try the Hog Razorback mask, Piranha has it on crazy sale right now and it is low enough profile where you can see just about anything. For $16 even if it just gets used as your backup mask it's a good investment. Piranha also has super cheap masks from the same manufacturer that makes most of the high end ones so find one that looks good to you and save $40-$60.

Hog Frame-less Mask "All Black"
This is the same mask as their Explorer II which isn't on sale for $16, but the regular price is $23.
Masks
unfortunately the only clear skirt they have has a pink frame.

choose one that fits your face the best. sounds like a good idea to me.

clear silicone will turn "yellowish" in time (years btw..), and masks seem to last for an entire diver's "dive life", so I would get a black skirt one now so that 10 years from now its still black :)

regardless of the last sentance, get a shiny purple with pink stars on it - sounds cool to me :)

Matan.

I even use my black skirted mask for household chores, such as processing fresh horseradish. Making Horseradish.jpg

But seriously, it's a personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom