MB-SUB VB 50 can light thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really like the H Focus, but am finding it hard to justify paying the asking price.

I came across another light that also has an adjustable beam angle, at a much more attractive price.

My concerns are that I saw one comment about it being "not DIR" (something to do with the light head being too complex, failure points etc.)

I don't really like the square beam, but guess it's something I can live with.

What are your thoughts on this light?

mb-sub.com: LED-head VB-50 NEW

More dir than the focus, imo

Meh, a little adjustment to the handle and it outshines a 21w HID or LED with ease. I was a die hard 21w HID Halcyon fan until I used the focus in a cave. Now, I'll tweak the silly handle on mine and use it for move cave dives.

And, yes, my GUE teammates and I used it against a 21w HID an 21w LED and it smoked them all. No ands, ifs, ors, or buts.....hottest spot and much wider spread with clarity. I converted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback on the "DIR-ness".

Still would love to hear feedback by owners of the VB50.

Meh, a little adjustment to the handle and it outshines a 21w HID or LED with ease. I was a die hard 21w HID Halcyon fan until I used the focus in a cave. Now, I'll tweak the silly handle on mine and use it for move cave dives.

And, yes, my GUE teammates and I used it against a 21w HID an 21w LED and it smoked them all. No ands, ifs, ors, or buts.....hottest spot and much wider spread with clarity. I converted.
have to disagree with this.

one of my rb80 teammates had the focus for the class and during the cave dives his light was consistently hard to see without covering mine. i like these lights a lot but i wouldn't go this far

have to disagree with this.

one of my rb80 teammates had the focus for the class and during the cave dives his light was consistently hard to see without covering mine. i like these lights a lot but i wouldn't go this far

I may have been cheer-leading a bit with post early this morning, but your different experience has me wondering if some of these lights are brighter than others?

What I can tell you is that I was first suckered into using a Focus by Travis at EE on a dive together. I did not expect to be impressed. Again, I was a die hard Halcyon 21W HID fan. We continually passed the EE loaner light around between teammates that week. I came home and bought one.

Two weeks ago our Texas GUE group got together for a fun dive at San Solomon Springs (Balmorhea) and there we again compared a 21w HID and a 21w LED to the focus. I could not see the 21w HID unless I spread the beam out.

i haven't dived one but this was my experience in the class. maybe he had it on 'low'? i thought he was diving it on high but that's one possibility

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom