A few tips for anyone taking a DIR-F class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK

Reaction score
I’ve been meaning for the longest time to carve out some time to provide some helpful hints for students getting ready for a DIR-F class, consider this an ad hoc Baker’s dozen. Winter is almost behind us and our summer schedule is filing up and I’m noticing that since last summer, [i.e.; when we went to a formalized pass/fail approach] I’m frequently getting asked the same questions. I therefore thought it might be useful to offer some hints, tips and suggestions.

1) Do NOT spend a whole bunch of time stressing out, worrying and “practicing” to pass this FUNDAMENTAL class. I’ve noticed over the years that many of our students have developed, in one form or another, some bad habits. Our goal in this class is to help you break the “bad habits” and build new and more efficient diving protocols. By “practicing” for the DIR-F class the student more clearly ingrains something they may later wish to change, hence the reason for signing up for the class.

2) Come to class with an open mind, free of pre-conceived notions, and by all means check your ego at the door. For better or worse the various scuba forums have been a gateway to advancing the growth of DIR, however more often then not the information posted to various scuba boards is ill-advised, inaccurate, misleading or flat out wrong.

3) Come to class prepared. Read “Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving” by Jarrod Jablonski. Register on-line at www.gue.com before the instructors arrive and print a copy of the completed registration form that will need to be signed in the presence of the instructor. We are NOT allowed to let anyone take this class that hasn’t completed this, and we can’t make any exceptions. This is especially critical if your class is in a remote location without Internet access, as you will not get a refund for the class.

4) In order to maximize your time with the instructors try to organize dive locations that provide minimal drive time between classroom and dive site. Air fill’s become a critical issue. The class provides for 2 dives on Saturday and 2 dives on Sunday, presuming a weekend format. If at all possible have 2 tanks available and arrangements made for airfill s to be done overnight. We like to begin early morning Sunday so take that into consideration.

5) Get in shape prior to class for the swim test. All students must complete a 300-yard swim, without resting, in less than 14 minutes along with a 50’ breath hold swim.

6) Do NOT fixate on “passing” the class. I’ve noticed a disturbing trend since last July when GUE moved from a workshop based format to a more formalized structure. Students are now more worried about “passing” the class then they are taking away as much information as possible from the content and value of the class. Stay focused and remember what is important and why this class became so popular in the first place, it wasn’t adding another c-card to your collection it was the value of what is being taught.

7) Realize that the instructors invite questions and welcome students to compare and contrast the DIR method to various other styles in diving. However, also realize that the instructor isn’t there to fight with you. We respect everyone’s right to dive in any fashion they see fit, but our feeling is that if you are in the class that it’s self-evident that you’ve come to learn about the DIR ideology. Accordingly, we presume that you are interested in what we have to offer, not a debate about alternative styles of diving.

8) Bring ample supplies to take copious notes. Many of our former students have eluded to the fact that there is so much information being provided in such a short amount of time that it is difficult to absorb it all, so take plenty of notes and recognize that you are free to contact your instructor post class to follow up. In fact, I welcome it when my former students ask follow up questions.

9) Saturday morning session, again presuming a weekend format, is by-in-large centered around gear configuration and practicing various skills on the land. This results in crawling around on the ground, being in and out of your thermal protection for extended periods of time so depending upon the climate it’s suggested to dress accordingly and bring some type of protective tarp. We also suggest bringing ample hydration sources, snacks and lunch if possible. You want to maximize the amount of time you have with the instructors and depending upon the location you don’t want to waste precious time commuting for drinks, lunch and/or air fills.

10) If you are purchasing gear prior to class please spend the time to discuss your purchases with your instructor. There is no sense spending money on ill-advised gear purchases, when in doubt drop your instructor an e-mail and they’ll be happy to provide guidance.

11) Show up for class well rested, free of work or other outside pressures. The class is a very intense 2 ½ days with plenty of long hours. We have found that students that are well rested handle the longer hours better than those that hope to play “catch-up” over the weekend. Generally speaking the class begins Friday evening around 7:00pm and ends around 11:00pm. Saturday is usually 8:00am until 11:00pm and Sunday is 8:00am until around 4:00pm. These times are approximate, but nonetheless fairly representative of a weekend format.

12) If something isn’t clear to you ask. Nothing frustrates us more then a student that pretends to understand something. We teach in a very Socratic style and utilize the demonstrate-illustrate approach. The instructor will first demonstrate it, and then allow the student to do it while we videotape the skill. We later spend a lot of time rewinding, explaining and critiquing the student. While at first many students are fearful or reluctant to see themselves on camera. Ultimately, the feedback we receive from our students has consistently indicated that this is one of the more valuable elements of the class.

13) Lastly, remember diving is all about having FUN; this class is designed to help our students maximize their fun quotient.

Hopefully that helps, but if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Michael H. Kane

I'll be taking my DIR-F soon, here in the Houston area. The lake we will be using will probably be around 70 degrees or so. I'm a relatively new drysuit diver that tends to get cold easily when diving wet. I've become relatively comfortable diving dry throughout a typical recreational dive, however I could see fighting the suit a little bit in shallow water trying out the new skills.
I caught your response to doing the class in doubles in a different thread. Would your response be the same regarding this issue.

BradJ:
I'll be taking my DIR-F soon, here in the Houston area. The lake we will be using will probably be around 70 degrees or so. I'm a relatively new drysuit diver that tends to get cold easily when diving wet. I've become relatively comfortable diving dry throughout a typical recreational dive, however I could see fighting the suit a little bit in shallow water trying out the new skills.
I caught your response to doing the class in doubles in a different thread. Would your response be the same regarding this issue.

Since I happen to know Dave Sweetin very well, I want him to work as hard as possible, ;-), so I'll tell you to use your drysuit.

Serioulsy, this isn't a "drysuit" course, per se, as the industry has defined the class so this isn't the time to be learning how to use a drysuit. If you are previously diving dry then my suggestion would be to dive dry because Dave will spend a fair amount of time discussing drysuits, discussing fitting, and when they fit the BP for you it's advisable to use the suit you will most often be diving in. The other option is to bring both and if you feel uncomfortable diving dry you can always swicth. Bear in mind you are in the water for several hours at a time. I haven't taught a class with Dave in about 2 years, but if I recall correctly he runs his classes very similiar to mine which will mean you will be in the water for a long time so dress accordingly. You may also want to drop him a line and ask him his thoughts, Dave's a real good guy, easily accesible and happy to help.

Hope that helps..

Thanks for posting this MHK. I was wondering what your take was on students showing up with non-DIR rigs? I've read the requirments on www.gue.com (long hose, bp, spool etc.), but, I've also read the fundies book for a DIR setup. Should we make every effort to show up with a 100% DIR rig? For example, I'm stuck with an OMS face-seal manifold that I may or may not be able to replace before my class (the tanks are 7/8" necks so I'll need a whole new setup) and I have an older non-foucusable DR canister light. Should I do my best to get rid of these before the class? I've been stressing about this a little bit. Thanks.

Tom R:
JW,

First look at bringing an open mind for learning and all will fall into place. Some of that gear will work in the interim although not ideal. Personally I would look at upgrading when economically feasible.

Thanks, I definatley want to upgrade both my light and my manifold when I can (I'm just not sure about both before my class), but, yup, I don't think it's going to take much convincing for me to ditch either item.

I just want to try to soak up as much stuff as I can during the class.

John,

I don't even have a primary light yet, so I wouldn't worry about having a DR non-focusable too much. :) My lights are UK SL4s and Ikelite PCs. I'm waiting until I can order a Helios 9 later in the year.

I didn't use my light during my class (pre cert). I'm not even sure that you need one.

detroit diver:
I didn't use my light during my class (pre cert). I'm not even sure that you need one.
True, but if you have one, they suggest that you work with it....or at least they did in my class.

Again, certainly not a requirement, but when you have people there who have answers and tips, why not take advantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom