Tying knots in a spool the DIR way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was a certain way to tie your spool knots so as to meet DIR specifications. Is there a site out there that shows you how to tie the knots?

Not sure what your talking about? Why would you have knots ?

salty:
Not sure what your talking about? Why would you have knots ?

I've got a loop at the end of mine for attaching it to a bag or securing it to something like a rock or a piece of a wreck. Can't remember how it's done cause I don't have the spool handy but there is a way to do it that makes it easy to get off with gloves on. Some kind of tag loop on the end of a loop. I'll look tonight if no one answers this.

You may be speaking of a bowline with the running end doubled back in the opposite direction to create, basically, a disappearing knot in the bowline.

Dive4Life:
I was just wondering if there was a certain way to tie your spool knots so as to meet DIR specifications. Is there a site out there that shows you how to tie the knots?
This is how you make a loop in the end of a reel or spool line: Take the end of the line and tie a bowline knot, leaving a loop big enough to easily shove the reel or spool through. Then stretch out the loop you just made and tie a small loop at the end about an inch or so in size. If you "off set" the small loop from the far end of the big loop so that the sides of the big loop are slightly unequal, this will serve to make the big loop sort of spring open, making it easier to get things through the big loop. You can use the small loop to clip off the end of the line with a double-ender while storing it.

WJL:
This is how you make a loop in the end of a reel or spool line: Take the end of the line and tie a bowline knot, leaving a loop big enough to easily shove the reel or spool through. Then stretch out the loop you just made and tie a small loop at the end about an inch or so in size. If you "off set" the small loop from the far end of the big loop so that the sides of the big loop are slightly unequal, this will serve to make the big loop sort of spring open, making it easier to get things through the big loop. You can use the small loop to clip off the end of the line with a double-ender while storing it.

Thanks a lot Bill. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered some new spools and now I know how to prep them for use while diving.

The Kracken:
You may be speaking of a bowline with the running end doubled back in the opposite direction to create, basically, a disappearing knot in the bowline.
You mean a "yosemite bowline"?

crap man, all the cool questions get asked in the DIR forum :( I'll stay quiet
thx for the link - some neat knots.

The DIR knot for putting a loop on the end of a line must be the figure 9.

Bowlines are for uninformed divers!

Isent that little loop called a jasper loop? At first I thought maybe the orignal poster was refering to multable knots to be used for measuring or something.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom