Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Tying knots in a spool the DIR way

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Tying knots in a spool the DIR way

I was just wondering if there was a certain way to tie your spool knots so as to meet DIR specifications. Is there a site out there that shows you how to tie the knots?
    BOW NAUI
    AOW PADI
    EANX PADI
    RESCUE NAUI
    DECOMPRESSION I IANTD
    ADVANCED NITROX IANTD

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Not sure what your talking about? Why would you have knots ?
    Sometimes I wonder how people survive long enough to walk from their cars to the boat.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by salty
    Not sure what your talking about? Why would you have knots ?
    I've got a loop at the end of mine for attaching it to a bag or securing it to something like a rock or a piece of a wreck. Can't remember how it's done cause I don't have the spool handy but there is a way to do it that makes it easy to get off with gloves on. Some kind of tag loop on the end of a loop. I'll look tonight if no one answers this.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. - Umberto Eco

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    You may be speaking of a bowline with the running end doubled back in the opposite direction to create, basically, a disappearing knot in the bowline.
    Long after man is gone and his dams burst, the rivers will, once again, flow freely to the sea.

WJL
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive4Life
    I was just wondering if there was a certain way to tie your spool knots so as to meet DIR specifications. Is there a site out there that shows you how to tie the knots?
    This is how you make a loop in the end of a reel or spool line: Take the end of the line and tie a bowline knot, leaving a loop big enough to easily shove the reel or spool through. Then stretch out the loop you just made and tie a small loop at the end about an inch or so in size. If you "off set" the small loop from the far end of the big loop so that the sides of the big loop are slightly unequal, this will serve to make the big loop sort of spring open, making it easier to get things through the big loop. You can use the small loop to clip off the end of the line with a double-ender while storing it.
    Bill

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by WJL
    This is how you make a loop in the end of a reel or spool line: Take the end of the line and tie a bowline knot, leaving a loop big enough to easily shove the reel or spool through. Then stretch out the loop you just made and tie a small loop at the end about an inch or so in size. If you "off set" the small loop from the far end of the big loop so that the sides of the big loop are slightly unequal, this will serve to make the big loop sort of spring open, making it easier to get things through the big loop. You can use the small loop to clip off the end of the line with a double-ender while storing it.
    Thanks a lot Bill. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered some new spools and now I know how to prep them for use while diving.
    BOW NAUI
    AOW PADI
    EANX PADI
    RESCUE NAUI
    DECOMPRESSION I IANTD
    ADVANCED NITROX IANTD

Mindless lemming

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by The Kracken
    You may be speaking of a bowline with the running end doubled back in the opposite direction to create, basically, a disappearing knot in the bowline.
    You mean a "yosemite bowline"?
    Cornfed, aka Drew

"I just fall more on the lines of just being an all around [jerk], which contrary to popular belief, really has nothing to do with DIR." -- JeffG

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

crap man, all the cool questions get asked in the DIR forum I'll stay quiet
    thx for the link - some neat knots.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    The DIR knot for putting a loop on the end of a line must be the figure 9.

Bowlines are for uninformed divers!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Isent that little loop called a jasper loop? At first I thought maybe the orignal poster was refering to multable knots to be used for measuring or something.
    Sometimes I wonder how people survive long enough to walk from their cars to the boat.