shooting a closed circuit bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanzer2250

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a video showing a closed circuit bag being shot? I thought I saw one once (maybe on the 5th d website), but I have not been able to find one. thanks.

docmartin:
check out
http://www.frogkick.dk/multimedia/video/fifthd/
it is - obviously - the "shootbag.avi" file

I've watched those clips and I did it again this morning and noticed two things:

1. S-Drill
- On the video: Donating diver showed SPG to OOA diver (before they communicated direction).
- We were taught: Donating dive checks the SPG (doesn't show it - just checks) few seconds after they've started to swim in chosen direction.

2. V-Drill
- On the video: Diver closed left valve and then released primary regulator from the right shoulder D-ring.
- We were taught: Diver releases primary, purges it, leaves it hanging from shoulder and then closes the left valve.

Both things look more logical the way I was taught.

In OOA situation showing SPG to an OOA diver looks like wasting of precious time.

In V-Drill if primary is still clipped-off D-ring and left valve is closed diver can generate himself a problem: what if bolt snap is stucked and he has just closed his gas supply?

Comments ?

Albion:
and dont forget to make sure the bag is under you,
sorry couldnt resist

Closed bag should be under right arm when filling (which is not on the video) but I'm not sure if that is so important because you operate opened and semi-closed bag in front of you.

tanzer2250:
thanks for the link. I have been unable open the file, despite using a cable modem - long download times. I will keep trying.

The problem is that the site itself is slow. Maybe you noticed that they don't alow more than two download connections per one IP address.

MonkSeal:
1. S-Drill
- On the video: Donating diver showed SPG to OOA diver (before they communicated direction).
- We were taught: Donating dive checks the SPG (doesn't show it - just checks) few seconds after they've started to swim in chosen direction.

Well, the donating diver *needs* to check the SPG. If what you see could potentially help calm the OOG diver, then show it to him. If what you see is bad (i.e. potentially not enough gas to get you home), then don't show it.

2. V-Drill
- On the video: Diver closed left valve and then released primary regulator from the right shoulder D-ring.
- We were taught: Diver releases primary, purges it, leaves it hanging from shoulder and then closes the left valve.

The way you were taught is correct, though, I wouldn't let the long hose dangle afterwards, I'd leave it in my right hand.

Soggy:
Well, the donating diver *needs* to check the SPG. If what you see could potentially help calm the OOG diver, then show it to him. If what you see is bad (i.e. potentially not enough gas to get you home), then don't show it.

My point was about the actual moment of SPG check. I was taught: donate, calm down, check you position & bouyancy, deploy the rest of hose, communicate the direction, swim, check SPG during swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom