idea of making my own flag ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedgehog47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought the more expensive "diver below" yellow float with the pocket in the middle for storage (which I need) and it had this crappy foldable flag which, somewhere... fell off and sank and dissapeared. So I'd like to make a new flag for it wondering if anyone has suggestions. It has two small pockets on either side for a stick to slide into

Here's what I did.....used red and white cloth sown into a dive flag. Took my SMB and home made dive flag to the only clobber I could find and he glued and sewed the flag to the SMB for $15.00. So when I don't want to tow a flag like when I'm solo diving if I need to ascend I shoot my SMB and PRESTO instant dive flag. Just something to think about.

I have a good friend who does quite a bit of shore diving craft a semi rigid dive flag out of red and white duct tape. While it drew some laughs it worked rather well and has lasted quite a while. Repairs are simple too.

Here's what I did.....used red and white cloth sown into a dive flag. Took my SMB and home made dive flag to the only clobber I could find and he glued and sewed the flag to the SMB for $15.00. So when I don't want to tow a flag like when I'm solo diving if I need to ascend I shoot my SMB and PRESTO instant dive flag. Just something to think about.

Presto you might want to check with local laws on the size flag's may need to be.

I could not find a good flag that was big enough for OK State so I had to make one. Went bought just red cotton material heavy weight. Painted a whit strip across it. Bought bras coronets use 1/2 pvc as pole and put it on ex small inter tube with buggy strap.

Presto you might want to check with local laws on the size flag's may need to be.

I could not find a good flag that was big enough for OK State so I had to make one. Went bought just red cotton material heavy weight. Painted a whit strip across it. Bought bras coronets use 1/2 pvc as pole and put it on ex small inter tube with buggy strap.

No need to check it's the same size as everyone else in the state uses, which was why I used.

12x12 not affixed to a vessel, or 20x24 if affixed to a vessel or structure here in Florida. USCG capt. David.

[SIZE=-1]It's no longer just a flag, now they include a bouy.

327.331 Divers; definitions; divers-down flag or buoy required; obstruction to navigation of certain waters; penalty.
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1](1)
[/SIZE]
(b) “Divers-down buoy” means a buoyant device, other than a vessel, which displays a divers-down symbol of at least 12 inches by 12 inches on three or four flat sides, which is prominently visible on the water’s surface when in use.

(c) “Divers-down flag” means a flag that meets the following specifications:1. The flag must be square or rectangular. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height, or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The flag must have a wire or other stiffener to hold it fully unfurled and extended in the absence of a wind or breeze.
2. The flag must consist of a divers-down symbol on each side with a white diagonal stripe that begins at the top staff-side of the flag and extends diagonally to the lower opposite corner.
3. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed on a buoy or float towed by the diver is 12 inches by 12 inches. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed from a vessel or structure is 20 inches by 24 inches.

4. Any divers-down flag displayed from a vessel must be displayed from the highest point of the vessel or such other location which provides that the visibility of the divers-down flag is not obstructed in any direction.

(d) “Divers-down symbol” means a rectangular or square red symbol with a white diagonal stripe. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The width of the stripe must be 25 percent of the height of the symbol.
(e) “Underwater breathing apparatus” means any apparatus, whether self-contained or connected to a distant source of air or other gas, whereby a person wholly or partially submerged in water is enabled to obtain or reuse air or any other gas or gases for breathing without returning to the surface of the water.

[SIZE=-1](2) All divers must prominently display a divers-down flag or buoy in the area in which the diving occurs, other than when diving in an area customarily used for swimming only. A divers-down buoy may not be used or displayed onboard a vessel.

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0327/Sections/0327.331.html
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]It's no longer just a flag, now they include a bouy.

327.331 Divers; definitions; divers-down flag or buoy required; obstruction to navigation of certain waters; penalty.
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1](1)
[/SIZE]
(b) “Divers-down buoy” means a buoyant device, other than a vessel, which displays a divers-down symbol of at least 12 inches by 12 inches on three or four flat sides, which is prominently visible on the water’s surface when in use.

(c) “Divers-down flag” means a flag that meets the following specifications:1. The flag must be square or rectangular. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height, or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The flag must have a wire or other stiffener to hold it fully unfurled and extended in the absence of a wind or breeze.
2. The flag must consist of a divers-down symbol on each side with a white diagonal stripe that begins at the top staff-side of the flag and extends diagonally to the lower opposite corner.
3. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed on a buoy or float towed by the diver is 12 inches by 12 inches. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed from a vessel or structure is 20 inches by 24 inches.

4. Any divers-down flag displayed from a vessel must be displayed from the highest point of the vessel or such other location which provides that the visibility of the divers-down flag is not obstructed in any direction.

(d) “Divers-down symbol” means a rectangular or square red symbol with a white diagonal stripe. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The width of the stripe must be 25 percent of the height of the symbol.
(e) “Underwater breathing apparatus” means any apparatus, whether self-contained or connected to a distant source of air or other gas, whereby a person wholly or partially submerged in water is enabled to obtain or reuse air or any other gas or gases for breathing without returning to the surface of the water.

[SIZE=-1](2) All divers must prominently display a divers-down flag or buoy in the area in which the diving occurs, other than when diving in an area customarily used for swimming only. A divers-down buoy may not be used or displayed onboard a vessel.

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0327/Sections/0327.331.html
[/SIZE]

For Divers in Rhode Island
18" x 18" diver down flag required. Flag must be illuminated at night.

That's all folks! We're simple folks here in RI!

I use this when its not rolled up in my pocket

PICT0052.jpg

Afterdark how do you illuminate the flag at night?

Afterdark how do you illuminate the flag at night?

I tie a chemlite to it before I deploy it. Or I'll claim I did and it fell off! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom