Diving and burnt calories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephhhhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

Couple of years ago, an Instructor told me that you burn around 800 calories during a diving session (of about an hour). What do you think about that?

Do you really need to exercise if you dive everyday?
I'm pretty sure you burn a lot of calories while diving even though it doesn't seem that you're sweating that much. :)

So do you really burn that much cal? :huh:

Cheers

I guess it depends. Running a 7.5 mile an hour pace is about 1000 calories an hour for me. I doubt that--even when you think about thermal needs in terms of staying warm--slow frog-kicking is equal to that.

Now, if you flutter like crazy, maybe, but I bet you hoover through your tank so fast the dive is over in a few minutes.

My speculations, I'd be interested in what others say.

Diving in my opinion is a recreational sport where you swim and relax.

For the other exercise like cardio on a machine or weight training, those should be called maintaintence exercise because it helps keep the body from falling apart.

And those maintaintence exercise helps keep the body together underwater too especially weight training where you build up the muscles that helps you swim faster, blood flow, and best of all, the muscle mass is heavier then fat which makes you sink and less lead on the weight belt.

I think exercising like cardio and weight training on a regular basic is highly recommended for every diver. I'm not saying you HAVE to be like tip top shape like Michael Thurman, be more active rather then sitting on TV would really help underwater more. Besides, I'm sure everybody WANTS to look good in a wetsuit like those models in the catalog now. :D

I agree with Tony, even in "warm" water, you still lose a lot of heat.

If you use this website: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

Put in your weight, the length of the dive, and scroll down and click on "scuba diving, general" then scroll back up and click on calculate, and it will give you an idea of how many calories you'll burn for a dive.

For me, and hour dive will burn around 800 cals.
For a 150 lb person... a 1 hr dive will burn roughly 475 cals
For a 200 lb person... a 1 hr dive will burn roughly 675 cals
Go to the site to see what you would burn.

I hope this helps to answer your question! By the way... the site will calculate calories burned for TONS of different activities.

No problem! It's a handy little site... especially for those losing weight! (like me! LOL)

Steph... 800 calories would be about right for someone of my weight diving for 1 hour... but I weigh more than alot of people (not for long though... I'm losing the extra... 45 lb down now!) For an "average" size person... 150-200 lbs... the cals burned will be between 475 and 675, roughly. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom