Needing all around shape up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merrimorte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I've been away from diving for awhile now and am looking to get back into the water. (yes I will refresh my skills before just jumping in and have my equipment inspected and serviced) Problem is, I browsed through my scuba closet... and discovered my BC and wetsuit no longer fit. (apparently I am more woman than I once was :( ) I refuse to buy a new bc or wetsuit for 2 obvious reasons 1- cost 2- Don't want to encourage myself to stay this size!

Before it was easy for my to get some physical exercise in as I was always home. Now however, I work as a team truck driver and our truck is usually moving all day. (like 20 hrs a day or more) stopping only for fuel and pick ups and deliveries. Any advice or ideas on what kind exercises I could do while out on the road? I do return home most weekends. And would like to see about loosing 50# as well as develop muscular/cardio strength again.

Appreciate any helpful thoughts!

Hi Merri - I'm a pretty new diver myself; however, a couple years back (the year I turned 40) I decided to get fit and healthy myself. I've lost 80 lbs and I've maintained since early 2011.

Obviously, you have a much different job than I do which presents unique challenges. I really believe the key to losing weight is changing your diet; I joined Weight Watchers online and found it really easy. I still eat what I want (for the most part) - at its core, it's really about portion control and tracking what you eat. I incorporated a fitness regimen for fitness, not for weight loss. Of course it helps in weight loss, but I didn't want to get trapped in a situation where I wasn't learning to eat properly and was only losing weight because I exercised like a demon. Do you have a way to listen to audio books while out driving? I read a couple of great books that really taught me a lot (Thin for Life and Mindless Eating are the 2 that pop into my head at the moment). They were really motivating and helpful.

Since you drive a truck, perhaps you could start with using bands instead of traditional weights? I use them all the time in my strength & conditioning classes (I love going to the gym) - you can get a great workout using them and are easily transportable. Also, walking is fantastic. I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees due to old sports injuries, I was scheduled for double knee replacement in 2011, but I've managed to put it off since losing weight and getting in shape - walking was great for me! I did interval training, short bursts of walking fast with moderate walking, sometimes I'd use wrist weights and really pump my arms - sometimes I even did some lunges & squats while walking. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was crazy, but my results were good!

Anyway, I think you could get a really good start on your goals just through controlling your diet - and then fit in as much movement as possible when you can. Good luck!

If you and your co-driver are driving more than 20 hours in a day I would like to check your log book.:-(

Another female diver here. I actually work in diving, but also find it hard to schedule in exercise due to long days (12hours on average), and especially after diving as strenuous activity after diving is not advisable.

As Lunula points out, diet is key. If you are sitting on the truck for hours on end your body will find it hard to burn off carbs, so I'd go for a high protein approach - lots of meat and veggies. Not sure how possible this is at truckers break stops - but the meat part shouldn't be difficult. Just cut out things like the fries and buns that go with your meat.

Not sure exactly what your daily schedule is like, but if you have the time (not long, 20 mins a day is enough to begin with) at any point before your day starts or during your breaks, try to fit in a power walk to get your heart rate up - guessing a jog/run would probably not work if you are out all day with nowhere to freshen up/shower?! Muscle strengthening exercises that can be done anywhere include squats, lunges, push ups and wall presses (leaving back against a flat wall, bending knees into sitting position and holding position).

By combining the more protein diet with this approach, you should start to see an increase in fitness, muscle strength and also weight loss, and you can make adjustments in terms of diet and ramping up the exercise if need be as you progress.

Good luck in reaching your goals. Although admittedly the festive period is not a great time to start. Time to master that will power! :)

Getting back in shape and staying fit on the road doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. For a truck driver, a simple milk crate and a couple of plastic milk jugs are all that is needed for a strength/cardio workout.

The milk crate can be inverted to act as a box for step-ups or to act as a bench press for lying exercises. Jugs can be filled with water, 4 lines drawn with a ruler dividing the jug into 4 equal parts, then weighed and marked with how much each jug would weigh for every 25% of the container that is filled. Keep the tops and use duct tape to keep them from dumping out on you during your workout.

Perform exercises using a 5 day split with one week having 3 strength and two cardio sessions and the next having 3 cardio and two strength sessions. On your days off enjoy yourself, get out and have fun, or go for a walk or run. Go diving once the gear fits!

Week 1
Day 1: Legs, Chest, Back, Abs

Squats 5 x 10
Push-ups 5 x 10
Bent Rows 5 x 10 (Fill milk crate with water jugs, rocks, or something to weight it, hold handles and lift to chest in a classic bent row position)
Crunches with legs on milk crate 3 x 15

Day 2: Cardio

Invert milk crate and do 20 - 30 minutes of step-ups

Day 3: Legs, Shoulders, Triceps, Abs

Lunges 5 x 10
Front Raises 2 x 10
Side Lateral Raises 2 x 10
Bent Lateral Raises 2 x 10
Close Grip Push-ups 5 x 10
Lying Leg Raises 3 x 15

Day 4: Cardio

20 - 30 minutes of step-ups

Day 5: Legs, Chest, Back, Biceps, Abs

Squats 5 x 10
Lying Flat Dumbbell Flies (using water jugs and lying on inverted crate) 5 x 10
Bent Rows (with milk crate or one-arm rows with water jug) 5 x 10
Curls (with water jugs) 3 x 10
Combo Crunch/Leg raise (sitting on inverted milk crate holding handles) 3 x 10

Week 2

Day 1: Cardio

Day 2: Legs, Chest, Back, Abs

Squats 5 x 10
Push-ups 5 x 10
Bent Rows 5 x 10 (Fill milk crate with water jugs, rocks, or something to weight it, hold handles and lift to chest in a classic bent row position)
Crunches with legs on milk crate 3 x 15

Day 3: Cardio

Day 4: Legs, Shoulders, Back, Abs

Lunges 5 x 10
Front Raises 2 x 10
Side Lateral Raises 2 x 10
Bent Lateral Raises 2 x 10
Deadlifts (holding milk crate handles) 3 x 10
Lying Leg Raises 3 x 15

Day 5: Cardio

In addition, the beach body pull up bar and the aforementioned bands are great tools to install on the truck and use of the road. Hope this gives you some ideas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom