Diving and running

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

damage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This year I decided to change myself; In February I started diet and exercised 4 times per week and managed to lose 24kgs (53 pounds) so far; the point is that running and biking has become and addiction and an enjoyable activity for me, and I would love to do that when on the beach along with dives; my typical diving trip is on a weekends, drive on Friday after work (3 hours) Saturday 3 dives (morning mid day and night) and Sunday 2 dives (morning dives) mostly shallow 9-20 mts (27-60 ft). Do you think is OK running in the morning before my dives? My major concern is DCS considering that I am in my mid 30's.

From the schedule you describe, light running on Saturday morning before your dives should be fine ("light running" as in base training, heart rate not exceeding 125 bpm, heart rate should have returned to normal resting rate long before kit-up and I assume you'll have taken good care of your rehydration); I wouldn't run/jog on Sunday morning considering Saturday involved three dives.

Having said all the above, I am not a physician and, for the record, I don't run before I dive.

I know nothing so take this with a grain of salt. I run and bike to stay in shape but I purposely do not excercise within say 16-18 hours of dives (especially planned deco dives). I try to time it so that my last run is about 24 hours before a dive. No science, no special reason - I just "feel"comfortable with those numbers.

Thank you guys, I had a hunch no to do it, but is good to read other people opinions; better be safe and enjoy my dives.

From what I have read (I am a marathoner) running AFTER diving is the greater risk.

Curious to know what your SAC rate was before the weight loss-vs-now.......

Back
Top Bottom