Just bought boat, need IDEAL dive platform/tank holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanLVolker

Reaction score
Hopefully someone on here will know of someone who would specialize in this...i just got a Regal 320, and i want to add on a large dive platform to it, and have the tanks mounted up against the stern --the idea being, the tanks never need to go inside the cockpit of the boat, and to dive, you would sit down on a small elevated section of the platform, and have a tank held behind you--you would now put the straps on, stand up, and step into the water or dive in, as would be my case:)
So whether this is a fiberglass job of modifying the dive platform, or a pre-created piece that has been designed for just what I described, this is what I need.

I do not want a roll control bracket sitting flush with the floor--making gearing up and standing a pain.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan Volker

Interesting idea - closest thing I can think of is: Welcome to Swim Platforms, Inc., custom boat swim platforms. This doesn't take care of the 'rack' idea. I would also be concerned about a suitable ladder, for someone in dive gear re-boarding. One other thought would be to test the boat with the equivalent weight of the tanks placed at the stern, before making any major changes. Depending on number, size, steel/AL, you may be putting a lot of weight right where the heaviest part of the boat is (engine(s)) which could push you bow up. (2 AL 80's wouldn't do much - 8 steel 120's would)

Interesting idea - closest thing I can think of is: Welcome to Swim Platforms, Inc., custom boat swim platforms. This doesn't take care of the 'rack' idea. I would also be concerned about a suitable ladder, for someone in dive gear re-boarding. One other thought would be to test the boat with the equivalent weight of the tanks placed at the stern, before making any major changes. Depending on number, size, steel/AL, you may be putting a lot of weight right where the heaviest part of the boat is (engine(s)) which could push you bow up. (2 AL 80's wouldn't do much - 8 steel 120's would)

Thanks!
My first choice, would be a dive platform as on some of the Palm beach charter boats, which actually can come down to level with the water---i much prefer bellying up onto a platform, than any form of ladder..this said, I want a nice yacht style platform, not a cheesy mess like on some charter boats ( function without form :)

I would be fine with custom--but I would need to find the right company..And if there was such a thing already made, that would be really awesome....A friend of mine has a Cranke with a hydraulic dive platform--push a button and the 2 foot high platform actually goes down below the water--a jet ski can be driven over it....this will not work on the Regal, as there is not room for the hydraulics between the props and the platform....it's also a bit more pricey than I think I want to spend--and hydraulics are way more than required for a diver...but it is a cool direction .

Dan

I have seen a number of people try to make this idea work. Some were better then others but all had a drawback or two.

1) Any chance you will ever see doubles on the boat. Most racking systems are only for singles.
2) Will you rack bare tanks or rig tanks? The BC makes it a bit more difficult.
3) Have you thought what will happen the first time you take a good wave on the stern? More then a few pieces of equipment have been washed away. This is even more of a problem with dressed tanks and all the equipment that gets cliped on.
4) How will you support the tank as you put it on? Most likely someone will need to lean over the rail and hold it in any type of a sea.

By the way, cheap bungies don't work, I know.

Thanks!
My first choice, would be a dive platform as on some of the Palm beach charter boats, which actually can come down to level with the water---i much prefer bellying up onto a platform, than any form of ladder..this said, I want a nice yacht style platform, not a cheesy mess like on some charter boats ( function without form :)

I would be fine with custom--but I would need to find the right company..And if there was such a thing already made, that would be really awesome....A friend of mine has a Cranke with a hydraulic dive platform--push a button and the 2 foot high platform actually goes down below the water--a jet ski can be driven over it....this will not work on the Regal, as there is not room for the hydraulics between the props and the platform....it's also a bit more pricey than I think I want to spend--and hydraulics are way more than required for a diver...but it is a cool direction .

Dan

Dan, do you already have the platform and just need the tank rack? Stop Murrel's and talk to Jeff. Maybe some type of minimalist SS Rack that could be easily removed?

I have seen a number of people try to make this idea work. Some were better then others but all had a drawback or two.

1) Any chance you will ever see doubles on the boat. Most racking systems are only for singles.
2) Will you rack bare tanks or rig tanks? The BC makes it a bit more difficult.
3) Have you thought what will happen the first time you take a good wave on the stern? More then a few pieces of equipment have been washed away. This is even more of a problem with dressed tanks and all the equipment that gets cliped on.
4) How will you support the tank as you put it on? Most likely someone will need to lean over the rail and hold it in any type of a sea.

By the way, cheap bungies don't work, I know.
Great points to address.
1. There is a possibility of doubles..but I may consider this something that is infrequent enough to mean when it happens, the boat will not be set up for this to be "easy".
2. I definitely want tanks rigged with BC or backplate and wings...I imagine them sitting on a built up area perhaps 14 inches above the platform, bottomed on a recess round hole for each tank ( could have an insert for 80's, and remove insert for low pressure 95's..) then a strapping system with far more strength than bungies, which when removed, is ready for divers to sit with back to the tanks, and gear up.
4. There will have to be a buillt up area on top of a tradtional dive platform, up against the stern of the boat. This will be both seating for divers gearing up, and the area tanks drop into a few inches with recessed cylindrical tank holes.

What do you think?

I saw nothing at the Fort Lauderdale Boat show to help with this, and I will be at DEMA Friday and Saturday, on the tiny chance there will be a solution of a boat display there...I am also looking for many other things at DEMA :)

Dan

The boat has a tiny "pretenda swim platform" on it, as do many cockpit style cocktail cruiisers....I want a real, meaty, dive platform :)

I would definitely start by talking to Jeff... Master Welders is the business name, and is right around the corner from you, I think. Anyway, I don't know what kind of access you have to the inside of your transom below the deck, but a beefy platform will require beefy support. I just made repairs to my boat after running in the snot we've had lately and was pretty unhappy with the way the support was executed. Definitely go with thru-bolts and some large area backing plates to spread the stress out. I recommend SS for this. There's sort of alot to discuss, give me a call if you want to get together and chat about it. I'll be around early next week.

I would definitely start by talking to Jeff... Master Welders is the business name, and is right around the corner from you, I think. Anyway, I don't know what kind of access you have to the inside of your transom below the deck, but a beefy platform will require beefy support. I just made repairs to my boat after running in the snot we've had lately and was pretty unhappy with the way the support was executed. Definitely go with thru-bolts and some large area backing plates to spread the stress out. I recommend SS for this. There's sort of alot to discuss, give me a call if you want to get together and chat about it. I'll be around early next week.

I will swing by with the boat early next week..you can tell me what you thin I should do....the closest pre-made platform I have seen so far is Welcome to Swim Platforms, Inc., custom boat swim platforms. , and it may work..I would still need to add seating, and secure tank holders ( the tanks would sit in the holes, you would sit in front of the tank/bc). I am getting bummed I have seen zero ideas on how i can have a big platform that will allow bellying up , rather than having to use a ladder. Most are too high..maybe at DEMA I will see something.
Thanks,
Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom